Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Seems like banshees have alot of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems like banshees have alot of problems...

Everytime i come on the forum now it seems like theres a post about someone having a problem with a banshee. I was wondering what the regular maintanance is like and the things i shouldnt do thatll hurt the bike while im riding. I have my heart set on a banshee and probably wont change my mind about getting one. I have a friend that knows how to rip the whole thing apart a put it back together so fixing stuff will probably be easy. Any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Banshee's are high maintence to say the least.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
Banshee's are high maintence to say the least.
he is over exagerating(i have no idea how to spell it lol i am tired) its just as much work as any other 2 stoke besides jetting just make shure the mix is right the jetting is some were good (not bogging or cutting out )well a little better then good and like all 2 strokes replace the top end every ones and a while its really not hard or allot of money 200$ replace it every 200 hrs if you race it allot or 500hrs if you just ride this inclides punching it but not wot for like 5 min at a time lol

Old 04-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My banshee is an old POS that has been ran to death all its life by kids till i bought it... I have only put 300 bucks into it for top end over haul, thats it and she runs great! never have i had one problem with it so far. I would never trust it on a long ride(the way it is now)..

I think that says a lot for how well made the banshees are..

BTW, The guy i got my shee from bought it new in 97, he has 3 teen age boys that road it during the time they had the banshee, all they ever did was put gas in it, rebuild the top end once, and sprockets and chain once, it got road almost every day with no maintenance,care, or easy riding...

By next year shee will be a full dune machine with all the go fast goodies!

Old 04-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

When I hear posts like two strokes are unreliable, two strokes always need rebuilding, bla, bla, bla, I think of one thing. The people that are saying these things don't have a clue on how to tune an engine. They burn oil at 20 to 1 and then complain that their two stroke is junk because they need a new plug every 1/2 an hour. Or it left them out on a trail with a fouled plug. What do they expect when they drowned their engine in oil? Or they get into detonation and melt their piston to the side of the barrel and then complain about the two stroke. I have many two strokes and have yet to buy a plug for one. I set my oil at 40 or 50 to 1, run good fuel, and call it good. I have yet to blow one up or stick a piston.
My suggestion is to learn to tune your engine, keep the best air cleaner on it you can, use good fuel, learn about detonation, don't drowned it in oil and you will have nothing but good luck with your new wing, ding dinger.
Also buy a good quad. Sometimes when your young you rush out and buy the first quad you can find. Hell, I know when I was young that's what I wanted to do!!! Take your time and get a good looking and running Shee. I hope you get a good one.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
When I hear posts like two strokes are unreliable, two strokes always need rebuilding, bla, bla, bla, I think of one thing. The people that are saying these things don't have a clue on how to tune an engine. They burn oil at 20 to 1 and then complain that their two stroke is junk because they need a new plug every 1/2 an hour. Or it left them out on a trail with a fouled plug. What do they expect when they drowned their engine in oil? Or they get into detonation and melt their piston to the side of the barrel and then complain about the two stroke. I have many two strokes and have yet to buy a plug for one. I set my oil at 40 or 50 to 1, run good fuel, and call it good. I have yet to blow one up or stick a piston.
My suggestion is to learn to tune your engine, keep the best air cleaner on it you can, use good fuel, learn about detonation, don't drowned it in oil and you will have nothing but good luck with your new wing, ding dinger.
Also buy a good quad. Sometimes when your young you rush out and buy the first quad you can find. Hell, I know when I was young that's what I wanted to do!!! Take your time and get a good looking and running Shee. I hope you get a good one.

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus some quads are 17 years old.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:16 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I would go ahead and get the shee.....I love a two stroke....alot cheaper to fix, less things to go wrong. I have never fouled a plug on my scrambler. Anything that has moving parts will break down....2 stroke or 4 stroke.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Man I work on and modify alot of Banshees and I have to say,if ya take care of em' and mix your fuel right you'll never have a more dependable,fun to ride machine.Not to mention you can make it faster than any other bike out there.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

i would have to agree....im a ex banshee owner and now have a raptor and i miss the old banshee for its arm ripping powerband and the ease of tuneability and being able to do engine work on it without having to take a college course on engine building and maintanence!

Old 04-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Man they have nothing to them, they are apart in 15 minutes and back together in 20. I can't believe how easy it is to work on them compared to my previous 4stroke quad, and talk about breaking down my previos 4stroke had me buying something every week, if it didn't snap off it lost this and if not I have to upgrade this or that. Man I sit now washing the heck out of my banshee as I'm bored not having to wrench or upgrade it after every other ride. It's a whole new world.........................ps. the wife sure is happy there's now extra money in the account for her to spend for a change.

Quick Reply: Seems like banshees have alot of problems...