Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

4WD or 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill is right guys.

But if you can't afford a 4wd ATV just get a winch...it will help but may be a bit of a hassle, it will get you out of the muck just like a 4wd ATV.

Old 07-21-2000, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a '99 Trailblazer 250 last fall and was pretty impressed with what it would go through. The first time I really put it to the test was in the spring when a buddy of mine with a 500 Suzuki and I went on a little mud run. My bike went every place his went but sometimes took a little more juice to get me through. I was pretty happy. I was out the other day with my bike with the intentions of having some fun and checking out some hunting spots behing the house. Never got to the hunting spots. There's two trails that lead to the spots I was heading and I couldn't get through either one. Tried as I might it was a lost cause. If it weren't for a guy on a Sportsman that pulled me out, I'd still be there. The Blazer is now for sale, just laid down some cash on a new Kodiac Ultramatic. When the going gets tough, you can't beat 4wd. Period.

Old 07-22-2000, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I never said you can put good tires on a 300ex and keep up with 4x4's. But if you put a pair of 27" tri-claws on a Rancher 2x4, your able to follow a pack of 4x4's through deep mud and water to the point where they even have problems. From that point is where only the beefed up 4x4s can go. Don't interpret that as saying 4x4 is obsolete. I was able to make it through stuff that 4 brand new big bears with stock tires could not. again I might just be a pretty good rider.

Old 07-23-2000, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

I was one of the BigBears riding with TexasWarrior and he did manage to go everywhere we did (along with the almighty GregSims and his Polaris). The only difference was how he had to attack the mud. There were places where he had to hit with speed and keep those wheels turning--the 4X4s could just idle through. I think what it comes down to is what type of riding you're going to be doing. TexasWarrior rides for fun a lot (or so I gathered from meeting him); I bought the BigBear for hunting and I took it to the mud to see how it would handle (with a few guys to bail me out, if necessary--and it was!)

Old 07-24-2000, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

hey crash, how's it going? Have you guys been out again?

Old 07-24-2000, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

The riding near my area wouldn't be good for 2wd's, there are like SP500's Honda 450's and all these other 4x4 quads that go through this trail thats in a forest wich has about 2 1/2ft of water, and mud at the bottom....I tried to go through this trail and I didn't make it 2ft...LOL I'd like to see a 2wd go through it, but I can't. Also their is like a 3ft swamp in the middle of this forest and 4wd atv riders just love it. It all depends on the driving conditions to pick 2wd or 4wd. Come near my house and do your mud bogs guys...it will be a challenge.

Old 07-24-2000, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

Hey,

I haven't been out since that day. My buddy left work early one day and checked out the Marshall Creek riding area at Lake Grapevine. He said it was pretty good for being as close as it is. I imagine we'll be riding this weekend.

Crash

Old 07-25-2000, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

4X4, they also don't rare-up as easy as a 2 wheel drive.

Old 07-25-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is only one of many stories,but here it goes.

My friend Brain,on his 300ex,was riding with me one day.We come upon some pretty nasty mud.It happened like that around 5 or 6 times that afternoon.While Brain did make it thru on every attempt without my assistance,I just idled thru the same spots[400cc 4x4 Xplorer] that he had to get off and PUSH his quad thru.

On our way home,Brain replied,well at least I did;nt get stuck.I said,Well at least I never was forced off my quad and had to PUSH it thru the Mud.All in All,we had a great time,but 4x4 does make a diffearance in certain situations.====Bill