Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Continuing Raptor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Continuing Raptor Problems

For those who arent familiar with my problems, I have an 03 rap with a ct pipe, K&N w/ outerwear, no lid, stock carbs, wiseco 11:1 100mm, hc stg1 and new carb guts.

I jetted at 180/185 mikuni with 25 needles on the 3rd clip and 2.5 turns out on both. It absolutely wont idle, just stalls out regardless of idle adjustment. I have played with the screws a little but to no avail. It has no power. My cousin has a 01 shee w/ fmf pipes and boost bottle. I used to be able to beat him with my pipe and 12 tooth front. Now I'm running a 13/41 and get him off the line, but he absolutely leaves me after I hit 4th. Very hard to bring the front up as well. Floats seem ok.

Head is loud as heck. Valves are at hc specs of .25 exhaust, .20 intake. No vibration, just no power and a lot of noise. I replaced all of the guts of my carbs, slide, diaphram, springs, etc because I had messed up some of them during a quick race time rejet. I am at low elevation in michigan and the temp is around 60. I have no coolant leakage and it is no longer running hot unless it sits at idle for a long period of time.

I really appreciate the help from you guys in the past on this issue, and would really appreciate some more. Thanks in advance. I will have a comp check done this weekend to check for bent valves or a leaky head gasket or anything else.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of noise and what does your plug look like? Does the choke change anything?

Old 04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

The main jets sound a little rich to me too. Check the plug. I bet it's running rich. For as much fuel as you're getting, I don't think just removing the lid on your box is going to do cut it. When you adjust the idle, are you adjusting both carbs or just the left? What kind of fuel are you running in it?

Old 04-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It sounds like the valves are going to bust through the head. The specs I gave you were mm, I think its around 8 and 11 thousandths.

I was running a tad rich with 170/175 and 25 needles with just the ct pipe, k&n, and no lid. I thought that I would need to increase flow for the piston and cam. I've seen others at differeing elevations running up to a 190/195 with just a wiseco 11:1, hc stg1, and pipe. And to my knowledge ct requires the most gas. I havent checked my plug, thats next on the list.

I'm running 93/94 octane super premium from the pump. I tried 2.5/2.5, 2.5/3 and 3/3 and a few turns in between on the screws

I've heard all kinds of things regarding checking the floats with the clear tube, I just never really understood it. I'll do a quick search and see what I can come up with. Inclines do not seem to be a problem, its still runs when going up/down hill or wheelieing.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is the machine in correct time? Other possibles are your carbs need cleaned or one of the carb-too-head boots has a tear.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My father adjusted the valves last so it may be 180 off, he will say its not but you never know. Carb is clean and the diaphrams and other guts are new.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First off, I would get rid of the noise and go from there.

Do you have all the stock carb parts? If so, start from there. I had to do this way back in the beginning stages of jetting. Also, check the flow of fuel running from the tank to the carb. Let us know so we can help you out more.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Does it idle with the choke on? if it does you have a plugged pilot more than likey. Could be vacuum leak . Try sparaying starting fluid around the intake area when you get it running and if there is a RPM change you have a leak . sounds a little fat on jetting but I dont know your altitude . Have you physically looked at the valves they might be beat in = Not the seat but the valve it's self . Remember keep a list of what you do and do only one thing at a time then test it .
get a new plug also cant hurt Ive seen to many new plugs that arent right .
Good luck Buddy

Old 04-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok so I'm trying to check the comp on my piston. Its a wiseco 11:1 but I dont know what PSI I should be running at. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Going to be checking this in the morning, would really appreciate some help tonight if possible.

TTT

Quick Reply: Continuing Raptor Problems