Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

686 tear down

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 686 tear down

Originally posted by: warwgn
Hey Sam, I will be more than happy to race, but dont plan on stopping after 300 ft, you got to be a real man and do 50 miles, so if you really want to race and test your machine and yourself bring your camelback and a full tank of gas!!
Oh man, your serious dude!! Ok, now I would like to see that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Sam your mighty Craycraft went into the water ports when they got started to NOBODYs perfect just ask Mark he told me!!! ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

What the hell??

Who ever said to got to find the limits is right. JUST NOT ON A CUSTOMERS QUAD. I feel sorry for the other 5. LOL I think one was was tunedx2. You ever dyno that creaction?

I got hosed on a fubared head a few years back and came up with another one prior to that. Jerry Craycraft dissected those to heads.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Mark don't try and change things around you told me first hand that Jerry went into a few water jackets when he first got started doing raptor heads. Probably not customers heads but some.
We just got a quad dyno just in the last 6 months so my bike wasn't dynoed but I wished it was but I figured it was the 53 hp range at 5200 feet.

I've been a mechanic for 17 years not just some kid with a dremil tool, I do all my building myself building,installing,porting,tuning everything and try to help my friends out as much as possible and all I did was port my friend head to the very best I could trying to get every ounce of flow out of it I could and ported to much and thats the end of it PERIOD. He knows I will fix my mistake like the true friend I am.........

Pat

Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Raptor porting question:
The exhaust appears too gain the most by porting by a visual inspection only....is this true?

Old 05-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Just my thoughts you can do alot with the exhaust but I feel you can do more with the intake as well as opening up the tranfer port. Which gives more output I don't know but the power gains are huge.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Antime any place , i take 6 mile desert runs every vweekend, im training for the pismo endurance race in october, it's 5 miles and 2 hours of rough riding, ill even do it on a stock 400EX for you,,,,..Pat im not sure who you talked to but im the leader of my pack when we ride, trust me i dont just drag i do it all and actually started riding desert in mojave before i started dragging..

No since in argueing , im not the one who screwed up, hope you can make it better....later dude..

Old 05-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

if it takes you 2 hours to go 5 miles then I'll race you in reverse with four flat tires!! A 6 mile run doesent evan get my chain warmed up, I've played in Pismo it's fun there, biukes run really good at that altitude. If you want to step up to some real desert racing you have to start with 25 mile laps, 6 miles is not evan considered a warm up. As for a stock 400ex, I'm not going to talk trash on that, if you are a good enough rider you can kick alot of but on that bike it's set good for desert racing and you can get it to perform like it is,IF your good enough.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Gary- A lot can be done there, but most builders do not remove much material.

Pat- I do not know why you think that??? One thing about Jerry and his porting. They are all the same unless they are trying something different for us to see about adding it later to all of them. If he takes out 6 cc's per side they are all that way. There is very, very, very little difference from head to head. The only difference would be on some all out drag quads that go with oversize valves/bigger cams and 39's. Those are done a little different.

The only thing i can think of is when Jerry cut out the intake side to see where the water jackets were on the donor head.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 686 tear down

Originally posted by: 14mins
Gary- A lot can be done there, but most builders do not remove much material.
Lowering the floor and creating less flow angle should help a ton.
Gary

Quick Reply: 686 tear down