Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Couldn't sell the Wolverine now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couldn't sell the Wolverine now what?

I bought a new 2004 Wolverine back in the fall for one of my family members to ride with us on trips. Needless to say, they haven't even been one time and the bike has been in storage for over 6 months and hasn't even been rode. I tried to sell the bike for over a month and couldn't even get a call and it had over $500 in accesories. Is the market that weak for Wolverines?

Anyways, I got it out for the first time last weekend and rode it for the first time about 35 miles. I currently also have a (Rincon and a 700 Prairie) This thing is lacking power. It has fairly good power in the first two gears, but everything up it feels very weak.

Since I can't sell the thing I guess I'll tweak it up for some fun. Here is what I thought about (pipe, tourqe stuffer, K&N, High flow air box, re-jet, port & polish, and install a high performance cam) (Not interested in a big bore kit)

If I do this how much more power can I expect? I talked to a guy that did a port and polish and installed the high performance cam and he said it was EXTREMELY QUICK.

Give me some ideas guys to really wake this Wolverine up? The Wolverine was lot more fun too ride than I was expecting. It has a sporty feel, but doesn't have a sport bikes power.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a better idea. Add up the cost of all the Mods you want to do, then subtract that from the price you were trying to sell it for, and try to sell it again. Then, go out and get yourself a REAL sports quad.

Lt84

Old 05-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Save your money and sell it for something else.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wistech, why do you say that?

Old 05-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

If you really want to make a wolverine "extremely quick"as you call it its going to take a heck of a lot more than a cam and pipe. That means big bore kit and major head work ,big carb,oversize valves . Then youll end up with a quad that will over power the stock suspension so then youll have to deal with that. If you have lots of cash to throw at it then go for it but there are a few other 4x4 quads out there that might suit your needs better. If your having trouble selling it just try again in some other avenues .

Old 05-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

If you are used to a 650 and 700 it probably will take quite a bit of work to make the wolverine feel really quick. That 700 will probably put whipping on a warrior and maybe even a 400ex. I personally enjoy the sporty feel of my wolverine and would not trade it for a huge 4x4. Especially for the 2k difference in price. If you are going to keep both of your other bikes you would probably be happier with a banshee, raptor, or yfz. However, if you need a 4x4 where you ride then you could hop it up and make it alot more fun to ride. I disagree with Wistec concerning making more power than the suspension could handle. The suspension on the Wolvernine is at its best at high speeds and you would have to go pretty radical with the motor before a suspension upgrade would be necessary.

As for selling the bike. I bought my 04 new for 4600 + 160 for setup. After taxes it came in under msrp. Don't expect to get more money because of the accessories that you bought. You will probably take a sizable loss if you sell it now.

What were you asking anyway?

Old 05-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mad, I was asking $4500 in the Cycle Trade, but would have taken $4350 if someone would have shown up. This bike, basically was brand new and I couldn't even get a potential buyer to show up. I use to have good sucess with listing in the Cycle Trader, but as of late I haven't.

Just for a pricing idea how much would you have paid for a MINT 2004 Wolverine with less than 50 miles on it? With about $600 worth of accessories? I thought the $4350 was a fairly reasonable price given the condition.

I guess everyone wants to buy new to get the low finance charges.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Prairie,

When I see deals listed like you have "I think what is the problem with it?" A brand new quad with all those extras and he is only asking 4500, must be a lemon is what I think and do not bother calling about it. That is how I think anways. As for the extras you put on it, I would take them off and sell them seperate to recoup some of your money because 500-600 in extras equate to about 50 to 100 dollars on the resale with quad and if you sell them seperate you could get closer to 300-400 for them. It just takes alittle time to do so but you would get more of your money back on it.

I found when I am having troubles selling something and start to get frustrated over no one calling I pack up the gear for a trip and it never fails somebody calls as I am leaving and wants to come over and look at it and of course they show up 2 hours later then they said they would be there but they have cash and I have one less toy. This has worked on a couple of snowmachines and a quad and 2 trucks and a Jeep, it must be a unwritten law, stating when ever I want to leave town it will sell.

Try to sell your Wolverine again but try the free methods like putting it up at the bullentin boards around town and have your friends pass the info around. I gave up on advertising in the papers along time ago and just go the free routes and like I said it does work.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

The problem is that you are selling a almost new unit and you are taking the "drive it off the lot" hit. Quads hold about 80% of their value for the first 5 or six years. (Longer if the bike is kept in excellent condition) The flip side is that it probably loses 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot. 4350 is a reasonable price for you bike. Here is the options buy your bike for 4350 or buy new for 4760 (that's what I paid) and get the warranty. That is the problem. Most people would spend a small amount more and get "brand new". What accessories did you buy anyway?

Old 05-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Madwolverine
The problem is that you are selling a almost new unit and you are taking the "drive it off the lot" hit. Quads hold about 80% of their value for the first 5 or six years. (Longer if the bike is kept in excellent condition) The flip side is that it probably loses 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot. 4350 is a reasonable price for you bike. Here is the options buy your bike for 4350 or buy new for 4760 (that's what I paid) and get the warranty. That is the problem. Most people would spend a small amount more and get "brand new". What accessories did you buy anyway?
I agree, for a few hundred dollars more, I would probably buy new; it would come with a warranty and if I was financing it, I would get a good rate.

Alaskaboy was right when he said try to sell the accessories separate, You might even try selling it to the new buyer after you agree on a price, he/she might be interested in some or all of it. I would also say in your ad why your getting rid of it, when I look at the ad, I think something must be wrong too! Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lt. Dan

Quick Reply: Couldn't sell the Wolverine now what?