Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The Raptor is fading

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what problems? it is not even out yet. You 400ex guys are a loyal bunch of riders.

Old 07-28-2000, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Talk yourself into thinking you are gonna run with or out-drag a Raptor. It will only make reality tough to deal with. How can ATV Sport say that the Raptor is down on power compared to the Banshee when it has about 10 more HP?

Old 07-28-2000, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

cals400ex, you are full of it.

There have been no problems reported because NONE HAVE BEEN SOLD YET!!!

And stock a 400EX won't even get close to a banshee..You have to bore it out for another 40 cc...hmm...!

Old 07-28-2000, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

I never said my 400 was faster than a piped Banshee. I was only expressing my disappointment
at Yamaha not pumping up the Raptor to be
faster than a stock Banshee. With a good start
my 440 can beat a STOCK Banshee. Unless the Banshee is being ridden by some 125lb 14 year-old. As far as ATV Sport goes, Dirtwheels and ATV Action publish press reports and call them reviews. Every new machine wins the shootout. They liked the DS650 better than the 400EX for motocross. Give me a break. I'm sure the Raptor will win all the shootouts until the Cannondale is released. Then it will be Kawasaki's new bike and so on... Why isn't there huge waiting lists for the Raptor like there was for the 400? Because no one is going to trade in their Banshee for a slower bike, and everyone who likes 4-strokes bought a 400. As far as pumping money into my bike, a new 400 costs $5500 OTD. $1000 buys a pipe, filter, 440-kit and cam. If you think you're going to get a Rpator OTD for less than $7000, you're going to be disappointed.

Old 07-28-2000, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

i just don't think the 400EX is half the machine it's made out to be. I think the same thing about the 300EX. Honda is all hype.

I'm not saying the raptor isn't getting blown out too. But it maybe be a better bike than the 400EX. But i do think it will blow a 440 EX away. I don't know how much you are taking those banshees by. I think when after market cams, pistons, vavles, ect come out. The Raptor will be even better.

but it is ashame you can't buy a stock machine and have more than enough power.

As for not pumping it up...lets just wait and see before we pass judgement on the bike! Honda hasn't done anything great with any of thier bikes..all low-tech, execpt for the rubicon. that tranny is just cool, but i'm not sure how reliable.

I do agree with what you say about mags. But still honda's always get the hype.

Old 07-28-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Im sorry but I havent been very impressed with the 400ex. I went to a race where a piped and jetted 400ex lost in a MX race to a BONE stock Warrior? After that I was wondering what is with these things? Im not here to knock the bike cause like I said skill has to do with everything. But you were talking about mods to a 400ex and all this stuff......How do you figure a Raptor OTD wont be cheaper than 7 grand!? My dealer is giving me my Raptor for $6250? Thats cheaper than your additional grand for all the hop ups on your 400ex? I mean im a repeat customer to my dealer for like the 5th time but still.......Anyways however I do agree with you gues on mags it seems like ALMOST everything they say about stuff seems like complete crap! Like a Bombardier being a better MX than a 400ex. Yeah right. I talked to a nationals race mechanic that had seen Bombardier quads on a MX track his only response to them was...... "what a pig!" He said they were just WAY to big. But they are one h#@$ of a desert bike from what I hear!
I do have to say though for as old as the Banshee's are you have to give kudos for Yamaha that they have and still are keeping up with CURRENT "latest and greatest" quads! And im talking about more stock to stock type of comparisons cause when you get into mods you argue from now and until the end of time about everything! Anyways im liking the current quad market and the way its heading! I hope everyone else starts getting some big bore's out there! =-) Cant wait to see how everyone retaliates! But I will be enjoying my Raptor for a while before I consider something new! Peace out guys!
Also please im not looking for flame posts either! Peace im outta here!

Old 07-28-2000, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

It seems that the dealers here in AZ aways start at the full retail and add shipping, setup, tax, and doc fees. And there always seems to be a waiting list for the new bikes. When there's a waiting list, your negotiating position is bad, because there is a guy standing behind you ready to take your new bike. At least that's how it was with the 400. If you can get it OTD for less than retail, that's awesome.

Old 07-28-2000, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said I didnt mean to bash ANY quads they all have their own niche which they EXCEL in. And let me tell you man when you put a good rider on them they CAN and WILL excel! But we have bought from this dealer for about 4 years now. We have gotten LT-160, 2 Wolverine's, Grizzly, a Warrior and now my Raptor. Mind you this is between everyone in my family. The quads that I have owned are a Wolverine and a Warrior. I can honestly say I feel I have been treated us MORE than fairly. And getting this Raptor for LESS than retail needless to say shows his care for customer care! I honestly wish all the other dealers out there would be a little more less MONEY HUNGRY but I guess such is life. Enjoy your bikes everyone its time for me to go riding!

Old 07-28-2000, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

I agree, and I didn't mean to bash the Raptor, it's just that the YZ426F puts out 50hp and Yamaha didn't use it. BTW, my 400 is for sale and I'm lookin' for a Banshee (which is why I'm cruising the Yamaha forum). The 440 was a huge improvement, but I've found I ride almost exclusively in the dunes and we all know what that means.

Old 07-28-2000, 05:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

FYI: In the current issue of ATV Sport there is a ride review of the Raptor and of the LRD-Rath Racing 440EX.

LRD-Rath Racing 440EX: 0-30mph in 1.62 sec, 0-60mph in 7.06sec

Raptor: 0-30mph in 2.8 sec, 0-60mph in around 8 sec

Quick Reply: The Raptor is fading