Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help my banshee is stuck in between gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help my banshee is stuck in between gears

i was riding my shee today helping a kid learn to ride .then my fiance jumped on it to ride it and couldnt get it into neutral .now its in 2nd and will shift to 3rd and back to 2nd but nothing else, no neutral ,is my tranny bad or a c clip break? im looking for ideas before i crack the cases to see also do you have to pull the water pump out before removing that case ? its loose but like the water pump is holding it on any ideas will help alot were supposed to be going to the dunes this weekend so i want to get it fixed thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

yeah i had the same thing happen to me. a spring came off the shifter star,the water pump should come off when you take the hole case off there is i think 8 bolts to take off remeber you have to drain the water and oil before you take the case off

Old 05-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

My guess is the adjuster stud is broke off. Drain water, oil then pull the clutch cover. The clutch basket will have to come off also. Behind it is where the shift star, shift arm, and stud is.

PM me if you have any questions while doing this. Its simple to do.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i had more time to check it out today and noticed if i pull the shifter shaft to the left side of the engine it shifts fine through all gears and if i push it back to the right side of the engine it is like it is jammed is there supposed to be movement side to side or is something suppose to stop it i thought it was the left case that holds it in place but that allows it to slide enough to stop shifting i can see the shift star and it appears to be in great working order and there are no pieces of debris in the case ill pull the clutch basket off and look to see if there is any thing missing or broke thanks alot for the tips its great to have help and i hope i can help others too happy riding

Old 05-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Take the shifter off, and put a little rubber washer in there ans that should prevent it from sliding right. Oh and I'd say you're lucky. I just had FBOMBERS help me rebuild a banshee bottom end, 5'th gear was siezed to the shift shaft....not pretty