Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Generation "Quiet" Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Generation "Quiet" Pipes

i am not an exhaust expert, but from what i have seen the fmf Q and the e2 are entirely different designs, so this may not be a fair comparison. the fmf Q uses an internal baffle and the e2 just uses it's spark arrestor (which is unlike any i've seen). also, the e2 can be converted into a full race pipe in seconds.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

The whole "race conversion" is how they are gonna make money but to tell ya the truth I would want that extra power all the time so why buy a pipe that can be silent when you wont ever make use of it? It still says you don't have to rejet so converting it to a "race" pipe prolly wont give you all the much more power either. If you don't go up on the main you aint gainin power, you might get a different power curve but not much extra. Why spend all that money for an exhaust that doesn't give you the performance your wanting, your basically buying a stock pipe that looks better.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
the first one with a quiet 4 stroke pipe that works is gonna be rich.
True true. What happenned too the LRD quiet muffler that was not supposed too loose power? I remember someone talking about it.
Gary

Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

The idea of a quiet, race pipe, is almost contradictive. The reason a pipe makes more power is because it flows more exhaust, and with more exhaust flow comes the need for more gas. By making a pipe quiet you are restricting the rate in which the exhaust flows, i.e using spark arrestors, baffles or any other junk they decide to stick inside.

The best way to keep the noise down is to keep the revs down when you are in a area that you shouldn't be loud. I have many neighbors that complain when i rip up the street. However, If i pop her into a high gear and go slow they never even notice that I am going by.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sound waves and air flow are separated...the sound waves only need too be dispersed for a quiet performance pipe. We need the boys at Flowmaster too come up with a reasonably quiet performance atv exhaust!

Old 05-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Sound waves and air flow are separated...the sound waves only need too be dispersed for a quiet performance pipe. We need the boys at Flowmaster too come up with a reasonably quiet performance atv exhaust!
hehe Flowmaster [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That would prolly be one badass sounding pipe though if it's anything like there 2 or 3 chamber V8 mufflers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

i read somewhere that hmf is working on an eco friendly pipe for their lineup. they state that it will be a high flow pipe with out the noise. the fmf q, and other pipes that use quiet cores reduce power to reduce the noise which isnt what we are looking for. i wonder if someone adapted the stealth exhaust if it would affect flow that much.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

It will only be a matter of time before everyone will be affected by loud exhausts. Just this past weekend at Rip-Char there was a XC race that was pushed back to start at 11am due to a new ordinance that did not allow mc/atv's to run b4 10am on Sundays or after dark any day.

This can only be the beginning. The Govt. will not say you can't put these loud exhausts on your mc/quads, but they will tell you where and when you can ride them.

Food for thought.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i just went to the hmf website and looked at their eco exhausts, unfortunately its another exhaust for utility quads. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

i have a yoshi and if you dont hammer the throttle its pretty quiet. my bro has a warrior with fmf and his idle is way louder than my idle, i have to go half throttle to be as loud as him, but when i drop the hammer fully i am a bit louder than him. so i dunno, nobody has ever said that the pipes designed to be quiet flow well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
the first one with a quiet 4 stroke pipe that works is gonna be rich.
True true. What happenned too the LRD quiet muffler that was not supposed too loose power? I remember someone talking about it.
Gary
I talked to Jason there a couple of times about this and they have flowmasters and other things cut up all over the shop and are trying to design sound cancelling baffles that let it flow. I don't think it's far off that we'll see some pretty good stuff, the market is demanding it and technology can be developed/adapted. All you gotta do is bust up the sound waves right while letting air move. We need Bose involved, there are sound-cancelling wave machines that produce so-to-speak an opposite sound wave that knocks out ambient sound. It'd actually be cool to have a deep but quiet sound that went fast.

Quick Reply: New Generation "Quiet" Pipes