Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why ru supose 2 be 16 2 ride a bigger quad but dirt bike you can be 10 and ride a yz125??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why ru supose 2 be 16 2 ride a bigger quad but dirt bike you can be 10 and ride a yz125??

As knowsalot noted, it goes back to the consent decree between the CPSC and the manufacturers when they killed off 3-wheelers. The manufacturers agreed to these limits to avoid having the industry destroyed. Dealers are not supposed to knowingly sell an ATV for a young person, if they don't fit the criteria. That's all fine and dandy as a guideline. In practice, not really. I think they need to shift the 16/80cc limit down to at least 12, especially considering that 80cc limit was set when 2 strokes were the preferred power plant.

I know I've seen small kids on large bikes and it scares the hell out of me. They are holding on to the thing for dear life. They are there for the ride and the quad is going to do what it wants. An adult can move their weight around and effect the handling. A small kid, the weight shift isn't going to affect the quad enough.

Size and age restrictions can be appropriate. Though I find it weird that there are no restrictions for motorcycles. Though I think that the tendancy for someone to be pinned under a MC in a crash is less than a quad.

I still remember seeing the same home video clip of a small kid on a red Honda util quad (I think that's what it was) going end over end nose first riding through a field.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default why ru supose 2 be 16 2 ride a bigger quad but dirt bike you can be 10 and ride a yz125??

KNOWSALOT is right. I also heard it has to do with the weight of the vehichle. Most deaths caused by the ATV's are from riders falling and the quads falling on them. Dirtbikes are easier to wreck on, but once the wreck is process, its twice the danger when its a wreck on a quad. Cause you have 400+ pound machine maybe falling on you.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I saw the video of the kid flipping over too. Pretty freaky.

I drove trikes before we got quads. I hate it when people say they are "DANGEROUS" I have had my fair share of wipeouts on quads and trikes. NONE of them were the trikes or quads fault. I FULLY ADMIT IT WAS MY FAULT 100% OF THE TIME. I was young and had that "it cant happen to me" attitude. After I got a few battle scars, from the quads, tongue lashings from my father, a few whacks upside the head, I came around. It is scary to think back on it and that I am alive today. It would have been very easy for me to break my neck or something. Too bad I was a slow learner. It cost me a few allowances for broken parts and time healing when I could have been outside fishing or something else fun like that.

Lessoned learned? parts cost money, hospitals suck, chicks dig scars, and that yes it can happen to you.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I know that ATV magazines out there have fine print on em that says "some things pictured herein can be really dangerous and should not be attempted. These were taken by proffesionals."

Im not blaming the magazines, but kids see these shots, think they are cool, and want to try them anyway.

Common sense goes a long way.

I am not anti ATV magazines either, for the future nay sayers.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Agreed Kodiak. Most "accidents," whether they are on a quad, bike, car, etc. can be prevented. Just about every time, someone screwed up. I've been "abruptly dismounted" from a quad on 3 occasions. First time, I followed someone onto a track out in the dunes and dumped over to the side. Next time, I was doing a brake stand, got traction and wheelied out. OUCH. Road rash from dirt. Last time I came around a corner too fast and hit a rut. All, preventable.

California DMV no longer officially uses "accident." It is collision. Accidents can't be avoided. I guess like a meteorite popping you in the noggin.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Yep stupid hurts. I would like to think we get wiser as we get older. Sometimes we have a brain fart every now and then but being 22, those "accidents" sometimes still happen. Just not as much with quads anymore......

I guess being an ATV instructor i shouldnt say that. My bad.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: sAyIt_fmf
I can somewhat agree with them to a point. A new house was just built a mile or so up the road from mine...It came with a young boy...maybe 10 or even younger and a huge grizzly 4x4. He can hardly touch the floor boards. If he manages to get it stuck or tips it over...there is no way he is going move that thing. He looks out of control on it.My wife and myself are waiting for the day that the emt's come flying up the road to help him. My wife is getting ready to go talk to the new neighbors....But if they are willing to let the young guy do as he pleases. I can only imagine the response we will get if we intervien.One plus for the kid is that he wears a helmet. But the downfall is shorts and a tank top with a great protective pair of sneakers.
We have probably all seen this and fear for the safety of the kid. And this is the reason some people want to make the laws more strict. Sure, people will still break the law, when their kid gets hurt they will be held criminally liable. On the other hand, a lot, probably the majority of the people will obey the law, hopefully resulting in young lives saved.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

I hear what your saying....It's the things like this that give people like me a bad rap.

We believe in tearing it up...riding hard..etc...but there's a place and time for wheelers. I do no want to be put in the same catagory as the people who do as they wish. We are safe and enjoy our atv's.

Alot of the respect/safety aspect of riding comes from years of experience and some hard lessons learned. I just wish some of the younger guys would catch on sooner. It could only help.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I feel I am doing my part to promote safety. I'm one of those young guys (22) and I am a certified ATV instructor. I teach safe riding techniques, and promote awareness to people about environmental concerns.

Hey, anybody interested in becoming an ATV instructor? Its a great opportunity, and I find it very enjoyable. You learn a lot on how to teach riders, make the class go smoothly and other educational things.

It may cost you near a grand to take the course but you can make that money back in your first couple of courses that you teach.

I encourage you all to look into it. the ATV riders instructor course. I know its ofered in Canada and Stateside.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think most people miss the obvious. Why can a 10 year old ride a 700lb utilty quad and not a YZ125? Doesn't it take alot more skill to just keep the YZ up? If a 10 year old can actually ride a YZ anything, then they would have to have some skills or they would get eaten up in a hurry. I really believe that most injuries of small kids on quads (of any size) is because their parents bought the atv because it is alot easier to ride and the kid will jump on it and go. (even if it was supposedly bought for the parent) Most never get anything more than a here it is, enjoy!! Heck, I believe that peoples lazynest is what caused the rush of auto quads. Don't get me wrong, I own a auto, But I rode mx bikes for years before it. More people that have never rode anything will by an auto just because of the hop on and go with no training what so ever idea. Then when something goes wrong, and we all know it always does, it has to be the atv's fault!! Never mind the fact the kid (or adult) never had any training. (or common sence, or idea how the atv would react in the given situation) I know that manufactures are looking at units sold. Easy sells. If the quads went the same way that the bikes have, I think less would have been sold, but at the same time, it would take more skill and abilty to ride. Therefore less lawsuites to purswade the manufactures and the reasons for the warning labels and age limits.

Soap box is now being put up till later, Sorry!!!!

Quick Reply: why ru supose 2 be 16 2 ride a bigger quad but dirt bike you can be 10 and ride a yz125??