Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

686 Raptor Owners need Jetting Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 686 Raptor Owners need Jetting Help!!

Well, just thought i'd give you the update in case any of you have a problem like this.

(RaptorAZ - you were onto something but, i figured that taking the quiet core out did me no good if it was the cause since i have sound restrictions but wanted max power)

After a few days of fiddling by the builder he came to the conclusion it was the Quiet core. Their is absolutly no way to tune the bike for any power with it in. He put it on a flow bench and, said it does flow a 1/4 of what the race core does and, is like sticking a banana in the tail pipe. Take it out and, the HP goes right back up to the 57 or, so it had from the day of the build. put it in and, it tops out at under 40 and, takes 2 days to get there.

Thanks to all of you for all your help and, ideas. I never would have thought that the quiet core was so restrictive but, then again i don't have a Dyno or, much tuning knowledge. Sadly i'll never pass the sound check to get on the dunes with the race core but, i'll have to put it in to get up and, swap once i'm on. lol

The pig is in route from AZ now so i'll give you a report on how the 686 runs with no restriction. Hope the neighbors understand!

Ken at Kenz Cycle Tech is about the nicest, patient and, most knowledgable person I've delt with. I'd have ghost riden my bike into the Grand canyon if i was in his shoes but, he relentlessly worked through my problem and, put up w/ me calling every hour. I'm just glad it was something so "simple". My luck is not normally like that.

If this thing make near the power the Dyno says,,,, i'll finally be VERY HAPPY! Can't wait!

Old 06-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Here's another train of thought on sound restrictions. You might want to swap to a pipe that has a disc-style spark arrestor. Preferably a Graydon or Sparks. Ken and I dynoed my 727(I'm using a Graydon) with both the race tip and the 20 disc spark arrestor, and the spark arrestor made zero difference in horsepower. But it is noticeably quieter with the discs.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor AZ - I'll see how things go with this pipe (can't imagine buying another pie for 400 + without trying my luck with this setup).

I'll have the bike back tomorrow! Can't wait!