Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior backfiring and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004 | 08:14 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default warrior backfiring and smoking

i have had a 98 warrior now for about 3 months and have been working bugs out. the quad is bored .30 over but i dont know what jets,piston,or what compression is it as it was this way when i bought it and the guy didnt know any of this. My question is could it be the jetting that is off causing it to smoke(yes it burns oil)?? or the valves since im sure theyve never been adjusted??im pretty sure the backfiring is bc of the jetting but i am going to rebuild it if u guys dont think this is it. thanks

Old 05-20-2004 | 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default warrior backfiring and smoking

New rings could help the oil burning and smoking - valves could be a problem as well. I am no expert by any means on jetting and such, but running too rich can cause backfiring from fuel loading up in the cylinder (I think). If that is the case, maybe you could try more AIR in your air/fuel mixture to lean it out a bit if your stock right now. Try running a K&N. Check your plug to see if your running rich, and adjust the main jet accordingly. I think stock was a 145, but your bored over and I would suspect it should have been jetted higher then. You can tell by removing the carb & bowl. The jet size should be etched on. If it matters, I can run a 148 - 150 main with no problems.