Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HP, torque to Lbs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP, torque to Lbs.

Can anyone or does anyone know of a scale or formula that you can use to figure out if you have this HP, Torque and Lbs is equal to speed. I was looking at Wrdskins thread about the speed of his rides and his sons rides on the same quad. Is there a way to figure speed to weight scale?

Old 05-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

nope, I know torque is how much work the engine can do and HP is how fast it can do it. so it should be faster with less weight cause it has less work to do. but as for the formula i have no idea how to prove that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

There are to many outside variable involved to be very accurate . Radar , IR traps, and head to head dont lie .

Old 05-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

^^^^agreeed^^^^^

Old 05-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Ok lets play with this. Wshrdskin and his kid. 45.3 MPH at 255 Lbs and 54.8 at 110 Lbs. Same quad, same hill same time of day. What can be done with this other than he went 9.5 MPH faster. I know there is allot of variables nothing exact just ball park stuff.

I was talking to Brian at Daryl Smith tires and he gave some insite on the ultra lites and extreme haulers. It was interesting that it is not just the weight of the tire but how it will expand as your rpms go up. Say you have a 21" extreme and a 21" UL. As your rpms go up the extreme will expand very little but the UL grows inches in size. So with UL you will have more hook up at take off (softer and lighter)and go faster in each gear (tire gets bigger). Go to a gearing calculator and see the difference by adding a couple of inches to your set up. I know allot of you probably knew this, but it's news to me and maybe it could help someone.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Chickens

Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

so with that said i run 13/40 wih 21 " extreme haulers on my old 686 set up at dumont and get out of the hole real quick and fast, but the bike needed more top end ...So i switch to a 14/40 set up and the bike is alot softer on take off but once it gets going i picked up about 5mph on the hill...

Now with the new build i am running i have a hi rev cam compared to the stage1 i ran in the old set up and now i am also running Ul 8 paddle haulers compared to my 21 extreme haulers, do you think i picked up too much power to stay with the 13/40 set up or will the 22 Ul bring that set up back to my sweet spot so i am not bouncing off the rev limiter... or will the total power of the new build be able to carry the 14/40 set up i like and max out the RPM's and get to my sweet spot on the hill runs...?

Time weel tell but just wondering what you thought if you understand my question..

Old 05-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

With the 13/40 and the UL 22" it should be about 2 to 3 mph increase in the mid range, but with the UL it will increase that because the tire grows you will be even higher. I would go with the 13/40 to start, but I would not be surprised that when you try the 14/40 with your new billed you will like that even more. I held the extreme and the UL together man there is a huge difference. How is it coming along?

Old 05-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dfitz
Ok lets play with this. Wshrdskin and his kid. 45.3 MPH at 255 Lbs and 54.8 at 110 Lbs. Same quad, same hill same time of day. What can be done with this other than he went 9.5 MPH faster. I know there is allot of variables nothing exact just ball park stuff.

I was talking to Brian at Daryl Smith tires and he gave some insite on the ultra lites and extreme haulers. It was interesting that it is not just the weight of the tire but how it will expand as your rpms go up. Say you have a 21" extreme and a 21" UL. As your rpms go up the extreme will expand very little but the UL grows inches in size. So with UL you will have more hook up at take off (softer and lighter)and go faster in each gear (tire gets bigger). Go to a gearing calculator and see the difference by adding a couple of inches to your set up. I know allot of you probably knew this, but it's news to me and maybe it could help someone.
Hey thats actually news to me too. Thanks for sharing that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Learn something new everyday

Old 05-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I know i will like the 14/40 better if i can pull the power out of her, i just have to try the 13/40 also to find out...

I will have a vid up tonight of the first start up in 3 months and then some pics of the finished product and the weekend report on monday ..

I also got the thunderalley pipe and that thing is very nice, it is going to flow like niagra falls, the openings of the silincer and the size of the head pipe are HUGE. the head pipe is a 2 into one style head pipe that meets up just about 6 inches from the head, quite unique and a new down force system he has devoloped was put into effect on this pipe, very diffrent then any aftermarket pipe out there , you will see when installed....

Quick Reply: HP, torque to Lbs.