Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee raptor shoot out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting very mad about all the quad magazines because if you read the Dirt Bike type magazines they tell you flat out bike is better and exactly why. where as with quad magazines the say in the conclusion eg. "well both these quads are winners and we loved them both" but the fact of the matter is that they don't have the "testiculiar fortitude" to say which is the better quad.
anyway thats my take on the matter

BUB

Old 08-02-2000, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Garyc660R,

I was just estimating a speed based on them saying it was about the same as when just gettng into top gear.

Old 08-02-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Agreed, the mags are milking this and stretching it out over many issues. No doubt that the Raptor is going to be a step up from any other ATV, except maybe the Banshee (for dunes and drags).

I decided to buy my Raptor before they are released simply because there will be high demand and limited supply initially. I also believe that Yamaha will take a price increase before 2002 and it will be at least $6999 (like the DS650 and Cannondale). If I still prefer the Banshee after riding the Raptor some, there should be a strong demand for a used Raptor.

Old 08-02-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

These mags are horrible this is the worst test i have ever read. In one sentence they said that in the short drag they were almost dead even. Yet the times showed the raptor a full second behind. In top gear that full second is alot of ground. Those times got to be bogus. I bet they ran them one at a time and just listened until they hit top gear then stopped the watch. How can you do a test like that. Another thing Raptor-5 gears, Banshee 6-gears. I could go out there and shift through all six gears in about 5 seconds would that mean that i win. This test was a joke. Lets line the big sport quads up drag race them and tell me what order they finished its real simple. Then put them on a motocross track and tell me which one has the fastest lap time. As soon as i get my raptor i will post a real review. I will race it against my friends 440ex and ds650 in a drag and on a track.

Old 08-02-2000, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Funny,
How many people are wondering if they should have put money down on a machine they have never seen? I know I would be a bit worried that I was still going to get spanked.. But ya gotta love it, the Banshee is still the benchmark....

RoostKing...

Old 08-02-2000, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Roostking, you took the words right out of my mouth. Risking the avalanch of hate mail I am bound to generate, I will say this. From the very beginning of this Raptor craze I tried to express my concern for all the people who ran down to the dealer to fork over thier hard earned duckets for an untested, unproven machine based only on what Yamaha wanted us to know. I would feel a cold chill deep inside the pit of my stomach if I had money riding on the Raptor beating a STOCK Banshee. What do you think will happen to a Raptor's top speed when it gets aimed up a steep sand dune? All I can say is I hope things work out for the best for everyone.
Also, discouraged by the current four stroke craze, I got sick of waiting for a NEW race quad and picked up an 88 trx 250r and I cannot believe how great it handles. There is no way a heavier machine will handle that good. Not even the heavier Cannondale will do it. Please, no hate mail, I still have a 98 Banshee for sand dunes and the occasional drag race.

Old 08-02-2000, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

I guess my only comment to that is that I didn't order a raptor to just drag shee's. I have had several shee's and I do like them them, BUT why I ordered a raptor is for riding at the dunes, trail riding, and whatever I want. I have trail rode with shee's.... and didn't like it... I ride alot of tight woods and lots of trails come to a dead end.... I get really tired of having to push the bike around just to turn around. The fact that it has reverse was the main selling point to me. If I wanted to only ride the dunes I would have bought a banshee. The other main reason I ordered it is the fact that its a 4-stroke, don't get me wrong I love 2-strokes but when noise is a concern (I have alot of trails around my house... I want a quiet machine) these were my main two concerns.... I feel like the raptor will suite my needs great.

The one main thing to think about..... no matter what you have or what mods you have there will always be someone faster. If I can buy a stock 4-stroke that will keep up with, and maybe occasionally beat a banshee.... all the better

just my 2 cents 8)

Old 08-02-2000, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, if that helps you think you made a good decision, great! It sounds like you are not an aggressive rider so the Raptor very well be the perfect machine for you. Are you going to sell the Raptor the first time you get stuck and have to push and pull to get it out? That is a hassle also, so why not just get a 4x4? Hey, it really sucks when it is too hot or cold to ride, so why not get a truck with some AC? I am not trying to insult you, just illustrate that the best for you is not the best. Hey, I ride fast and when I am on a trail that ends, DONUT! Also with a machine that weighs over 400 pounds, it should have a Yamaha representative come out and help you load and unload every time you ride.

Old 08-02-2000, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing I was saying is WHY I WANTED one. you don't have to be a smarta$$. If you would have read my signature you would have seen that I already have a 4x4. At times I think that people like really degrade this forum. (no insult intended) I mean give me a break. I guess a guy can't post his opinion here can he, without someone like you smartin' off

sheesh... give me a break.

oh yea, since we have rode together so much I guess you would know how I ride wouldn't you??? Alot of the trails I ride there is no way that a "DONUT" could be done.... heck its only as wide as the bike without brush bustin..... which I have been know to do..... incase U thought I just putted on the trails... again pulling off of your vast knowledge of me.... what a joke!

Old 08-02-2000, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

bash,

No kidding, this is crazy ! I redid your figures, and they are good enough for me. So, if we go by this mag's review and numbers, then we are supposed to beleive that the Raptor is going 20 mph faster in the last 3 seconds, and in those 3 seconds, "made up and over-took" 90 feet to pass the Banshee.. That sounds awesome, but it just doesnt make sense - the Banshee would have been approaching 70 mph in 6th , so does that mean the Raptor was close to 90 ? I think not. This mag. just made my head hurt. EVERYONE listen.... Until someone does a SIDE BY SIDE drag and test, there is NO way any of these reviews should even be taken seriously. Its confusing, and alot of folks are getting totally mixed up thoughts and ideas about this. Whippdeefreekin dah ! I have a real gut instinct about the Side by Side drags, and performance tests - but we will see soon enough.
Anyways, I have the first B&W Raptor locally, and they told me initially they were getting 14. So now, who knows when they will get there, I just hope the first B&W one, is there in the first shipment - then I will be able to relax.

Quick Reply: banshee raptor shoot out.