Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee raptor shoot out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something isnt right here, either the gearing is wrong or someone is screwed up big time. They are saying a banshee shifts from 5th to 6th @8.80 seconds, but the Raptor is getting from 4th to 5th in 9.79 seconds. the only way I would settle on these figures is if it was done at an actual dragstrip. these figures are pure BS. Whos holding the stop watch. This Is ridiculous If that Is true I will have the dealer swap sprockets when it comes off the truck. I just dont see the possibility If it revvs any where near 9000 rpm you would think that It would freakin shoot out the hole like a Scaled dog If you Revved to 3000 rpm to launch it you should be laying over the front to hold it down. now given that a banshee revvs quicker they will launch it at that rpm and it will revv every gear. Are these tests just a let out the clutch and then Gas it test or are they allowed to revv the engine to get the Rpms Up first? I freakin hate all of this Magazine BS ive never seen an Honest shoot out in my life. All I can say Is im going to buy a wiesco with a slight dome and bump my 9.2 compression up to the 12.5 the YZ 426 has thats where the power is, If its being held back for some reason for rideability, Im sure that this will be the cure.

Old 08-02-2000, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

lets face it all bikes have strong points.we are compairing two very diff bikes i wish the best for all of you who get the raptor.but its funny how big the 4 strokers have to get to compete with that little ol 350 twin! you just gotta love it. love my shee its the bike for me!!!!

Old 08-03-2000, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

OK, it sounds like someone is a little touchy about their new Raptor. If there isn't enough room to do a donut, then how does reverse help you? I really don't care how you ride, I just hope everybody who has money down on a Raptor isn't dissappointed, including you. Hey, with reverse gear, you can just back it out of the driveway like your truck. One question puzzles me, if it is supposed to be an off-road "race" vehicle, why does it have a brake light? Oh, I can understand why you want electric start, anybody who can't turn a quad around by pulling it probably cannot get a kick starter to work either. Do you have a handicap plate, or just the tag that hangs from the rear view mirror? I think it is great that you are able to enjoy our sport, being handicapped by laziness and all. Tell you what, when I get back to Oregon, we can go riding and I will ride around to the back of your quad, get you a nice cold beer and bring it up to you. By the way, if noise really is a concern, better leave that four stroke stock, once you uncork the exhaust on those thumpers, they really get loud, just listen to a yz400 or 426. Much louder than a 2 popper. I certainly hope this cleared things up for you.

Old 08-03-2000, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Ridz hard IN YOUR MOUTH, OK just dont be talking crap in this forum, you can leave and not be an @ss for all we are concerned, So its not a racer because it has reverse and a brake light. Get real its more of a racer than not so i could care less what smack you talk. But any way these figures are wrong. Dont believe for a minute that it is what the figures show. Knowing A: that top gear takes the longest to wind out. and B: the time difference given between the numbers, You can tell this Banshee 6th gear is taking 3.02 seconds (11.82-8.80) and the raptor is taking its top gear 5th, in 1.59 seconds (11.38-9.79) Thats almost unbelieveable winding the top gear in 1.59 seconds, but first gear seems too tall? sounds like this thing needs street tires, lowering kit and atleast 2 more gears if it can pull top gear in 1.59 seconds. If thats the case, most quads pull lower gears faster than top gears right, assuming that: <1.59x4 other gears = <6.36 seconds for the first four gears to wind and a total of: (<6.36 + 1.59=) less than 8.95seconds to wind out top gear. still if you add in about .5 seconds to clutch it and shift four times you get .5x 4 gears =2 seconds bring you still to less than 10.95 seconds to top speed. so we can expect 0-80-83mph in less than 11 seconds. Is that fast or Not? run 1/4 mile drag strip and it is 3 seconds faster than a camaro z28 unless it does top out quicker than 1/4 mile. then you have a few seconds to pull 80 mph to finish. Who knows? any one have a new banshee and can go find their time and see if the banshees time is accurate in the magazine?

Old 08-03-2000, 02:00 AM
Range Rover

i dont see what everybody is saying about no bottom end on the Raptor.It says it has no problem lifting the front end and in tight trails when going around a corner you might want to sit closer to the front cuz the front end will come up on ya!Therefore it must have some good torque.

Old 08-03-2000, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

your response to the above is unappropriate, If you read his profile he already has a 4x4. As he was saying and I must agree, the raptor is not for everyone, some will love it, some will hate it. If one bike was for everyone wouldn't we all have 300Ex's or Banshees? No, because they're not for everyone, I believe those with deposits on the Raptor will be VERY HAPPY when they get it, and there will still be those with Banshee's who will love it, I know guys who ride three wheelers and wouldn't think of purchasing anything with 4 wheels. There will never be one bike to make everyone happy, as there will never be one car to please everyone, Do you own two of the same cars? Just my point of view, safe riding.

Old 08-03-2000, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Ridzhard-- um... sounds like a personal problem. Maybe try wearing some boxers or looser briefs. Maybe it's having them in a wad that is causing the problem.

Hey, some of your sarcasm has a little humor to it, but man, instead of guys being a little defensive about the Raptor, it seems that every post where you have a chance, you're trying to slam the Raptor or the person who wants one.

How does reverse help if you don't have enough room to do a doughnut? Well, unless you have some stunt quad with wheels in the center of the frame to assist you in your stunts, your front wheels are the pivot point on which the back end arcs around. This means that the trail has to be almost twice as wide as your quad is long. Now I don't know how much driving that you've done with an automobile (are you old enough?), but by using a technique where you turn your wheels, pull forward, reverse your wheels and go back, you can turn around in a spot much less than twice the length of your vehicle. Got it? It comes in really handy when you need it.

Why does the Raptor have a brake light? Maybe because Yamaha figures it's going to be in front of most people. Really, you can't say a vehicle isn't good for racing if it has a brake light. What about the GTP cars just to name a few? Do you consider them grocery-getters because they have a brake light? On that same thought, I'm sure if you own any sport vehicles, you ordered them without air, power steering, or electric windows since those could be considered convenience items that only add weight, just like the reverse on the Raptor.

You hope everyone isn't disappointed with their Raptor? Wow, you could have fooled us. I mean why would all of your post lately revolve around slamming the Raptor and it's soon to be owners. It sounds more like a childish reaction to not having the newest, or possibly best thing out. I almost bet that if you were here when the DS650 came out, you were in the thick of things slamming on it too. Am I right?

Don't take this as a flame, well okay, go ahead. I for one am tired of seeing you jump on everyone that has something to say about the Raptor.

Old 08-03-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

I am personally tired of people trying to say how this thing is going to perform! Now the future owners of the Raptor's I can understand them trying to get figures on times, acceleration, comparison, etc. I guess more than anything im tired of people bashing this quad. Especially since well in the most literal sense no one KNOWS how it really does! The test model could be revised before we see them so in all reality not even the test people really know! I personally think this is going to be a stellar trail bike for me! And im REALLY excited about it. Im sorry to say this but you people who are bashing this quad are prolly just jealous cause the company your loyal to is in danger of being left behind as far as speed/power goes. Dont get me wrong im not saying I KNOW this is going to be an awesome bike but according to the specs and what we have "heard" it sounds pretty darn good to me. Anyways I guess I agree with Bash. Have you even read any of the reviews for this quad? They were going for the WIDEST appeal. By putting reverse on it they grabbed the interest of a lot of trail riders like myself. Hey maybe they put a tail light on it so you can be SURE its the Raptor's dust that your eating? Just my 2 cents. (Im agreeing with Bash here)

Old 08-03-2000, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Riz....

Sorry but you don't know me... so befor ... you know on second thought you aren't worth the time.

But if you ever are in oregon and would like to ride, anyone is welcome ... even you

Old 08-03-2000, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

"The difference is we are open-minded and come
here to exchange ideas and information."

Sound familiar? Ridzhard once made that comment in one of his post. I don't know what could have changed since then, but someone with that attitude lends himself more credence than trying to run down everyone with a particular quad.

Quick Reply: banshee raptor shoot out.