Old 05-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve adjustment help lease

Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

Wrong button, I have a 98 warrior that was experiencing power ;oss and smoke so someone told me to adjust my valves well I have my plastics and covers off and my cam marks lined up but I don't know how to check the valves I've put a feeler guage in between the bottom of the rocker arm and the top of the spring but there's no need because I can put a ruler between there I mean ther's like a 3/8 gap there. That can't be the right place could it could my problem be that bad because I mean it say .013 and that's not even close the 3/8 please give me some advice

Old 05-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

I'm strugggling here someone please help me!!

Old 05-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have it on the wrong stroke to have that much of a gap. you should be on the compression stroke and all the valves should be up.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Range Rover

I don't know exactly but I just went out there and turned it over with a ratchet and it seems like it's as far up as it's going I just don't want to crank down on the wrong thing. Is that nut on the end of the rocker arm the one that I adjust? and exactly where do you put the feeler guage? than,s

Old 05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer

ok i just did this so i know you put the feeler gauge right under the rocker arm all the way across the valve top and you do this dot on the timing chain is top dead center

Old 05-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

If you have 3/8" between the top of the valve and the underside of the rocker, I'm thinking you have WAY worse problems then a simple valve adjust is gonna fix. Are your rockers worn out completely, or bent or something? I mean, how is 3/8" even POSSIBLE??

Would your engine even run??

Old 05-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

new update I just went outside and took the intake cover off and it has the same spacing am I looking at the wrong thing or are they that far off and should they be hard to turn? Sould I have pulled the whole head off because all I have removed is the cam chain cover and the intake and exhaust covers

Old 05-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

I road to the spot it is now and it cranks up good I just don't know if I'm looking at the right place I just experience some smoking and power loss that just has been getting worse lately. I've got a compression tester but I need to go get a nipple or something to fit in the plug whole just to make sure my to;p end is good

Old 05-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

I was just out there and I have both my locknut and adjustment scews off and all the way out and when I get my adjustment to .010 on intake I can easily get it there with my finger and I can also rock my rocker arms back and forth is that the same result everyone else got? This sucks so bad I even have my manual and I just can't figure out why there was so much of a gap maybe I need new valves and springs or something

Quick Reply: valve adjustment help lease