Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WINCH ON A WARRIOR ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004 | 11:32 PM
Range Rover
Default WINCH ON A WARRIOR ?

Take a look in the June Issue of dirtwheels or 4Wheel ATV action, they got the same pic of a raptor with one on in both mags. They said they have kits from Warn for the warrior as well.

Old 06-12-2004 | 11:48 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpArX
Why don't you just stay away from 4x4 territory? I have a Raptor, and there aren't many places in my area that I can go without getting into winching problems, but then again if I need a winch, so does a 4x4, it's just that bad up here. So I don't even waste my time using a sport quad to go mudding, I get pissed when it gets stuck cause I know I shouldn't have been riding there, that's not what the machine was made for, so I stay to the dryer trails and away from muskeg. There's no sportiness in trying to winch out or push out a sport quad outta 1 foot deep+ ruts, that's why they have such crappy ground clearance. So I just keep it to the the main trails and gravel pits, I don't explore on my Raptor, I only get caught when the trails turn for the worse when they were once good. Man, I got a 4x4 and barely need a winch, but it would come in handy, and I'd get it for my 4x4 cause I HAVE to go to these spots cause I hunt them, but I'd never take my Raptor there unless it was a really dry season and there was no nasty holes. But I guess warn sees a market in them, so why don't you check them out, or can you afford one of their brackets too?
Yes I can afford a bracket, but not a $7000 4x4. Up here you have no choice but to go in some spots where its muddy

Old 06-12-2004 | 11:50 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

i will look at some brackets from warn

Old 06-13-2004 | 05:48 PM
Range Rover

I know what you mean, but there's always the option of buying used, you don't have to buy brand new... All I'm saying is that IMO, and from aggravated experience, it still does happen, but there's nothing more I kick myself in the but for then going down a trail I KNOW my quad wasn't designed for, beating the crap outt it, and me trying to push it through, burning out the clutch and riding in too deep of water with my air box lid off.... I still end up doing it from time to time regardless cause trails change, but if I can, I turn around.... It sux... I have a 4x4 too, cheap, I keep that for hunting and when the going gets nasty, definitely no $7000 quad, but it will go places a $7000 sport quad won't with bald tires! That's the reason I'm staying to the dry stuff even in my pickup up here, my environment is barely enough to take a quad, let alone there's no way you'd want to take a truck in the bush up here unless your running front and rear winches and 44" tires and 15" of lift, then your too tall for the trees.... So there's no winning, muskeg sux.....

Old 06-13-2004 | 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

another alternative is to buy one of those hand of powered winches it would be really easy to modify it to fit on the front bumper. or the back grab bar. you dont have to worry about it draining the battery and since it is a sport quad it will be fairly light thus it would be easy to pull out. just and idea

Old 06-14-2004 | 04:33 AM
Range Rover

If you had room like I do on my T-wolfs racks I just pack a bag with a 3/4 ton come-a-along style hand rachet winch with bout 25-75 feet of chain, tough slings or what not. Then I can take it on or off whenever wherever, hook it up wherever... Just maybe do that and get a rack for the back like I've seen them make for 400EX's or Raptors, and warriors and other sport quads. Be alot cheaper, and you don't have to screw with electrical....

Old 06-19-2004 | 11:00 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

yeha i think i might

Old 06-20-2004 | 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

i think a hand winch would be ur best bet, i think it could be mounted easliy, plus they weigh little and some can hold quite a bit of cable/rope $20-40 should get a decent one, or u do like me and got accidenty run across one on a construction site [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] shh lol..... come-a-longs work great sometimes but often can really **** ya off.. after every 5ft or so u have to unhook and let the cable back out and then they get in binds sometimes...too

Old 06-21-2004 | 02:48 AM
Range Rover

I use the chain type, works like a charm, but it's best to use strong slings or chain to add length to it, rope stretches too much. Heavy to pack it around as well, but until I setup a receiver type winch setup, that's what I deal with.

Old 06-26-2004 | 05:05 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

ok thanx guys, iam not on to it yet, its my next project

Quick Reply: WINCH ON A WARRIOR ?