Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Theoretical Top Speed of a Stock Raptor.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theoretical Top Speed of a Stock Raptor.

Eceriderjbomb, I agree with you. I may have exagerated "no where near the rev limiter" I'm close, but in 5 gear with more hp I bet I could pull another 2mph. On a strait it never hits rev limiter no matter how hard I keep it pegg'd. I have been down a few hills at max speed. Lil help from gravity got me to rev limiter.So i imagine i was going a tad faster. I just feel that with enough power the Raptor will reach 75+...Maybe not far..77,78 Who knows. Theres just some room left to stretch out those legs that last little bit!

*Edit* Also all my testing was done with a person setting the Cruise in my truck and seeing if I match that speed (keep up) So not sure how accurate that is.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.kg4vpv.com/~ncliborne/raptor.htmspeed calculator

heres the speed calculator

Old 06-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

I knew it was higher then 73, But I must be right at the rev limiter then? Cause when I was going down that hill maxx'd out, it made the overrev type sound that you get from Revving too high in a neutral position, Just alittle milder then with the clutch pull'd in. Evidently i wont be going much faster. I also thought that the raptor rev'd out higher then 7500? Yamaha states a 9kredline. /shrug Neat program to mess with though thanks for posting it!

Old 06-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

I dont really like these questions (no offense to anyone), because I dont think there is a true answer when you arent horsepower limited. You can't truthfully say that you will no longer gain top speed when you keep modifying the engine and dont change the gearing.

Here is why, it depends on how much power is being made at around the very end of the rpm range. Barely enough to hit the rev limiter, or alot more than enough to hit the rev limiter would make a difference. You can have a 69' Roadrunner 440 six pac with a 4:10 sur-grip rear end and it have 450hp and take another 69' Roadrunner 440 six pac/ 4:10 sur-grip rear end and 450hp, and one might top out at 140mph, and the other might top out at 130mph. The reason for this example inparticular would be that one car makes more top end horsepower than the other due to a differently tuned engine. The same thing will apply to your Raptor's. You can both have 686 Craycraft engines with the same gearing but you may have a difference in the top speed by one engine actually spinning the gear faster than the other at the same rpm (altering the power curve).

Another slightly different idea may be understood if a 400EX and a Raptor were both used as examples. Say that both having the same 13/40 gearing and the Raptor tops out at 75mph @9000rpms, the 400EX tops out at 61mph at @9000rpm. The Raptor engine had enough shear power to spin the gear faster and therefore achieve a higher top end speed.

Engine Power and where the power is made both have an effect. The old saying that you can only go so fast with a certain gear ratio is actually false. There is a certain range for a certain horsepower at a certain rpm, but thats about it for that. Its hard for me to explain it to you but I can see it going on in my head. Hope this helps you understand whats going on.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpDdEmOn
I dont really like these questions (no offense to anyone), because I dont think there is a true answer when you arent horsepower limited. You can't truthfully say that you will no longer gain top speed when you keep modifying the engine and dont change the gearing.

Here is why, it depends on how much power is being made at around the very end of the rpm range. Barely enough to hit the rev limiter, or alot more than enough to hit the rev limiter would make a difference. You can have a 69' Roadrunner 440 six pac with a 4:10 sur-grip rear end and it have 450hp and take another 69' Roadrunner 440 six pac/ 4:10 sur-grip rear end and 450hp, and one might top out at 140mph, and the other might top out at 130mph. The reason for this example inparticular would be that one car makes more top end horsepower than the other due to a differently tuned engine. The same thing will apply to your Raptor's. You can both have 686 Craycraft engines with the same gearing but you may have a difference in the top speed by one engine actually spinning the gear faster than the other at the same rpm (altering the power curve).

Another slightly different idea may be understood if a 400EX and a Raptor were both used as examples. Say that both having the same 13/40 gearing and the Raptor tops out at 75mph @9000rpms, the 400EX tops out at 61mph at @9000rpm. The Raptor engine had enough shear power to spin the gear faster and therefore achieve a higher top end speed.

Engine Power and where the power is made both have an effect. The old saying that you can only go so fast with a certain gear ratio is actually false. There is a certain range for a certain horsepower at a certain rpm, but thats about it for that. Its hard for me to explain it to you but I can see it going on in my head. Hope this helps you understand whats going on.

Very true adam.. Theres no replacment for displacement [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] so you will need pure power to have a faster machine...

Old 06-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: SpDdEmOn

Nicely Said

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Plus hardly any mods make your engine go any faster.. Just get there faster.. Unless you go into the motor that is

Old 06-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: psychotic400ex
69-72 miles per hour that is
this is why i love ur posts, there just always wrong no offense but they are!, put a raptor on a road and itll hit more then that

Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Why isnt there a gearing calculator for the pred?

Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks BURKEDADDY,
That is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone know where I can get a 32-t rear sprocket and a turbo for a raptor? I have the need to do 100+MPH on an ATV. If you input a 1:1 on the final drive the THEORETICAL top speed is 230+mph. That means you would have to spin the back tires (20 in.) at 3983 rpm. Somehow I don't thing a set of holeshots are rated for that speed. Not a practical discussion, but at least you can see what your max speed could ever be if did put a bada$$ engine in the bike and left the gearing, tires and rev limiter alone. Of course, it would definitely change how fast you got to your top speed.