Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Nightmare with the Yamaha Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Nightmare with the Yamaha Dealership

Some of you may have read my posts about my cracked cylinder. Here is how the dealership handled , or didn't handle, the problem.

After having C & S Sports Center in Mt. Pleasant, MI bore my cylinder and install my new Ross 102mm piston, it would not start. I took it back and they found out that they did not get the cam chain on the lower sprocket so the cam was not spinning. They fixed that for me. After I got it started and with less than 1 hour on the new job, the cylinder cracked around the front left cylinder bolt area and oil was leaking from the base gasket. I was told by a reputable source that this was almost always caused by the cylinder bolts not being installed properly. There are 2 different sizes, and if they are put in the wrong place they will strip out.

Thinking I was helping the shop out by saving them some time, I took off the plastics and the gas tank and the head. I took it in to C & S and when they took the cylinder bolts out they WERE in INCORRECTLY. They had a short and long bolt on each side. At first the mechanic told me they would take care of it and fix it at no charge, then the store owner, Jim, got involved. He said that I could have switched the bolts and that since it was aftermarket work, not stock, that I should have expected it to break. They would not fix any of it and he said I would have to pay for new cylinder and to have it bored again! He said "we don't do any of that racing stuff and we can't be responsible if it breaks". I asked him why I wasn't told this BEFORE they did the work. He did not have an answer. I asked him what is his policy was on workmanship errors. Jim said they had a 30 day warranty on workmanship, but he didn't know what caused it to break and because I couldn't prove that it was a workmanship problem they were not going to cover it. That's it. End of story.

After talking with Yamaha Customer Service, the shop eventually agreed to bore a new cylinder and put it back together, but I would have to buy the new cylider (at cost) and the gaskets.

I told the shop owner, Jim, "I have $18,000 into my Raptor. I was planning on buying a new YFZ450 from you in a couple months. Are you willing to lose a customer, and all my friends as customers, over a $300 cylinder that broke because of something your mechanic did wrong?" He said, "I will not warranty this, end of story."

So, like a chump, I bought a new cylinder and gasket set. They are going to put the piston and cylinder back together for me. When I pick it up, that will be the last time I ever set foot in C & S Sports Center. I urge others to put yourself in my shoes. Please think twice about spending your hard earned dollars at C & S.

Here is a list of things I know they did wrong:

1) Cylinder bolts in wrong holes, probably not torqued properly, stripped threads, cracked cylinder
2) Cam chain not put on lower sprocket, cam woudn't turn, so I know they did not set valve lash properly
3) No gasket at all put on cam chain tensioner
4) Did not torque valve cover bolts. I watched them do this - they just put them in with a T handle allen wrench
5) Cam gear bolts over tightened - after I gave them the specs from Hotcams

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]RR1[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would put the word out all over the net about their crappy policy on their work. If a dealership won't stand behind their work, they don't need to have work in the first place. Sorry to hear about your luck with a sh*tty dealership. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

wow that really sucks im glad there no c and s by me i got to a street bike shop guy does great work and you get your bang for the buck out of his work. But the buck is a little high but then agian not bad for ny.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

dude why dont you let craycraft do it, that is someone not knowing what the hell they are doing and then treat you like that, take it somewhere else....What makes you trhink there going to do it right this time...!!!

Old 06-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear that they did not take care of you the way they should. The owner made a poor business decission in not taking care of their mistake. You should email him this thread, or bring it to his attention, and let him know that the word is out about how he conducts business and how he is only interested in the short-term profit. With this website you have the potential to let hundreds if not thousands of people in that area know not to do business with his stealership....

Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I wanted to have Craycraft do it, and I will have them do my work in the future, but I was in a hurry, had a race coming up and this place promised me a 2 day turn around time. Then it ended up taking 9 days, now it has been 2.5 weeks, and by the time I get it back now it will have been a month of down time. If I had any idea this would happen I would have shipped everything to Craycraft.

Now I know for next time.

Oh, and by the way, I just asked the owner and he agreed that if I bought a new YFZ450 from him he would fix my Raptor for free. Seems a little shady. . .

RR1

Old 06-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

that sucks - especially considering the incredible service I have had from my polaris dealer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Sorry could not resist the temptation.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

that sucks - especially considering the incredible service I have had from my polaris dealer Sorry could not resist the temptation.
Some dealerships are fair and some are not. I know the Yamaha Dealership in Parkersburg WV(Devol's Cycle Center) has treated me awesome. They replaced my one way with no questions asked under warrenty, and they installed a new clutch kit for free, even though it's a wear item. Yamaha has always treated me fair, so I have 0 compliants with them.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need a contact address for this fine place.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks! I hate to admit it....but there's a Yamaha dealer around here that is very very very bad. Probably worse then the one you had a bad experience with. I am surprised this place is still in business. I walk in the door to look at a Banshee, not one person walks up to me. I have to go ask for help and the guy says he will get someone over...he calls for someone, no one ever comes...and then he just sits there acting like everythings fine.
And they never ever have any parts in stock that I need....never have they had one part in stock.

Quick Reply: My Nightmare with the Yamaha Dealership