Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs Predator,almost got spanked....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs Predator,almost got spanked....

I almost got beat by a 15yr old kid on a stock predator.i`m probably 40 lbs heavier than him ,but he`s on a 500 thats stock... I`m piped ,jetted,filtered, air box lid removed and dialed in pretty good...Beat alot of bikes,but we went side by side all the way ... I couldn`t pull him ...So where to begin the hunt for more power/speed from here???I really don`t want to crack the engine open yet but if I have to,I have too.... Thinking possible regearing,new shifter to eliminate linkage,and rear swingarm to lengthen it to launch harder...I`m 200lbs and can barely keep it down thru 3rd gear..Have to pedal the throttle to hold it down...Any advice on where to throw my time and money first??Are the predators that fast or was I having a bad day??What am I going to do when he gets the parts for his bike...??Might have to wreck him.....lol Thinking maybe the 800 for NOS,but there goes the stock rod,so i`m holding off on the big guns just yet..Thanks for any info...

Old 06-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

everyone says stock for stock a raptor should take it, i think its a weight issue

Old 06-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

try some gearing first, that will change things try for a second gear start.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm - Your Raptor should tear apart a Stock Pred, even though your 40 lbs heavier. Something is wrong there. Me and my Buddy are so close in a race and were both stock. It can go either way for us but you should be beating it pretty easy.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Put the nos on there and dont tell him that you done it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

When you were racing did you get traction? Are you sure you dare dailed in?

Old 06-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

if you have trouble keeping it down, lean more into it. It sounds like you're letting him stay with you because of it.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not starting trouble here but i was cruising through the forums and saw this, and yes i am a die hard polaris person but i want to throw my 2 cents in. the predator weighs more then the raptor and that would make up for the weight difference. also u have 160 more cc's than him and have those mods i think u should have taken him atleast off the start and pulled back on top. but stock for stock i think the pred will take it most of the time.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

My exact set up is the K&N filter,sock and plate for the air box. 160 & 165 jets on 2 clip. These needles came with the LTE exhaust system.they are alot thinner than factory and have 6 slots for the clips. The plug burns just a little tan.Sometimes I think it might be a little lean,but the color is there.I`m actually going to try to fatten it up,165/170 I run a sea level. From stock till now the bike is just an animal. We were racing on a dead end paved road thru all 5 gears,but not running for top speed.The first run I didn`t get first to second on the first try ,so he got a bike length. The 2nd run the front wasn`t touching the ground for 1st and 2nd and in 3rd I had to pedal it just a bit ,to steer away from him as my bike was walking over into him.The 3rd run we were side by side all the way down..It just seemed his bike loved to rev and the jug looks very short. Also the rear sproket on the predator looks very small ,but so does the front...I`m regearing and buying a shifter as soon as you guys give me some input as to what sprokets to buy??I`m thinking a roll shifter??? I`m going back to school him in what the raptor is all about in a few weeks...Yep, i`m thinking I need to hide the NOS bottle....Schools in for the predator boy...lol Thanks for the help...

Old 06-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamahaRiderOnly
Hmmmm - Your Raptor should tear apart a Stock Pred, even though your 40 lbs heavier. Something is wrong there. Me and my Buddy are so close in a race and were both stock. It can go either way for us but you should be beating it pretty easy.
*yawn*........

Here it all comes again......

Old 06-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamahaRiderOnly
Not true. We have 2 Raptors in our group both weighing around 200lbs and one of the guys works for Yamaha and has carbs, full exhaust, filter, gearing, extended arms and swing arm, and clutch work and he still gets beat by my friend weighing about 180 w/ his bone stock Predator. The other guy has his carb rejetted, lid off, gearing, and slip on silencer and he gets spanked by the same friend. Bottom line is Predators arnt slow by any means. Yes I've lost a race against a Raptor... CaliRaptor on this board to be exact but who knows maybe its just the rider..

Quick Reply: Raptor vs Predator,almost got spanked....