Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help: YFZ won't start and i need to leave for a GNCC

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: YFZ won't start and i need to leave for a GNCC

I need to get this thing running. i'm suppose to leave for Virginia tonight

Need your help guys...my YFZ won't start. it cranks over but won't fire up. heres the details.

during practice ride last saturday a stud for the header pipe backed out and the other stud lost the nut. in short my pipe backed off and was backfiring like a w00ter. i rode it for less than a qtr mile back to the lot.

when i got home i stuffed a rag in the exhaust port and washed the quad thoroughly.

when i removed the rag it was soaked...so some water may have gotten in.

what kind of damage could have happened in riding without the exhaust. all i can think of is the valves warping from the heat or a hole in the piston.

if it was the valves: i think i would have heard them in the attempt to crank it over.

if the piston had a hole: it should start with terrible compression.

could it simply be some water in there? there looked like a little on the plug. when i tried to crank it without the plug in, i did'nt see any water sloshing around.

any ideas?

Old 06-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

you can tell if its a compression problem if its this.......take the plug out, stick your finger over the plug hole and roll it over there should be air trying to pump out, if there is no air pressure, then yer piston is screwed. if not then drail the oil and get after it again. this shoulkd work, at least it does for 2-strokes, i dont think it would be any different for a 4 stroke. kick it over and see if its the piston. hope i could help

Old 06-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

I think you've got water in your cylinder......possibly. When we water logged bikes we'd pull the spark plug, turn it upside down, let it rest on its handlebars and turn the starter over to pump the water out through the sparkplug hole. Then put a fresh plug in. Its worth a try.....

Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

thanks Gwinn and Bryan (nice signature quote) i will try flipping it. what about if i took like a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and poured it down the plug hole. i may evaporate any residual H2O.

i will also check the compression as suggested.

if this does'nt work. i may be racing the Raptor. here come the tears. i'll bring my box of Kleenex. LMFAO.

any more suggestions? i'll try anything at this point.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a big pond at this one place we ride at...some dude went through it on his Kawasaki Prarie 700 twin and some dude on a Wolverine....Well the guy on the kawi took a path went through while getting stuck...he got out...then the wolverine tried to go straight through...he sunk his quad....compeltely...the water was up to his helmet almost...so the dude on the prarie had to pull him out....it wouldnt even turn over...so we lifted it up and drain all the watr out of the pipe and took the spark plug out and drain water out...then it eventually turned over but ekk....that was nasty.....

It is probably from the water....hey...take the Warrior not the Raptor...atleast the Warrior will last you the whole race on one tranny...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warrior68man

It is probably from the water....hey...take the Warrior not the Raptor...atleast the Warrior will last you the whole race on one tranny...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

LMAO!!! I was thinking the warrior too, but more because of how wide you said your rappy is now..... that was a good one.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

kuz,
put a fresh plug in. if that doesn't work, unplug your tps connection, then try to start. then reconnect. my buddies yfz wouldn't start at steel creek gncc, and a guy came over and told us sometimes the tps has to recalibrate by unplugging. then it started. good luck in virginia. what class are you running?

Old 06-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

well it was water in the cylcinder and a fouled plug. drained the oil and filters twice to ensured all water was out.

i got 14th in the 33+ 4 stroke C.

blew my start again. this time the quad would'nt fire up. i jump the start at the 10sec warning. i was like "oops. damn." i then shut everything off and when the flag came up...it would'nt restart. official came over and told me to hold the throttle WFO. it she sputtered back to life. as soon as i made the first turn the let the next line go.

moved up in the ranks due to some passes in the mud traps and nutting it up in the MX portion.

did you make to virginia BigDaddy?

thanks again for all your responses...i was a complete freak show and ended up wrenching on my quad up until the last minute.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

no. i didn't make it to virginia. i am going to wisp. it will be my 3rd gncc this year. i had knee surgery in april. kinda blew my season.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

cool, ill be there as well...silver 4 runner-landscaping trailer with NH plates. i usely show up friday am. if you spot me...come on by. My wife is tagging along for the wisp. The "posh ski and golf resort" part caught her eye.