Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Tech Guys...Piston Options...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Tech Guys...Piston Options...

I really need to know what kind of gain I can expect between a 11:1 on pump gas, and a 13.5:1 on 110 Race Gas? Will there be a noticable difference? Will I pick up time in 300ft, and do you guys think the 13.5:1 would be less reliable then the 11:1?

Any guys with opinion's or facts please feel free to let me know.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

The 13.5:1 will give better performance; ecspecially with a big cam. The higher comp. 13.5:1 over the 11.1 will give a noticable difference in performance; better torque down low also. If you are running an aftermarket rod I would go with the 13.5:1 comp.. As far as reliability the 13.5:1 piston should be very reliable with an aftermarket rod I run the 12.1 JE with the stock rod but I consider this taking a chance. My opinion is if using a stock rod you take a higher chance the higher compression; if running a good afterkarket rod I would go 13.5:1 without thinking twice as long as everything else associated with it is set up right. Hope this helps, Slim

Old 06-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The rod is already been replaced, and Falicon did the crank work.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

You should be good to go with the higher compression then; You want be dissapointed if you go 13.5:1. Slim

Old 06-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

You need to talk to Bob or Jerry Craycraft . I think they could probly give you the Numbers#
I believe there is even a 14:1 but I'm not sure if it was 102mm or 105 or what bore .
AS far as reliablility Any time you increase the HP and Torque you decrease the life .
And then again it depends on the mods and the metal and the guy pulling the pin on the grenade .
Just think of it like a fat rubber band the width of the rubber band is the life of the engine .
the length is the Performance . Pull it make it longer and the life gets narrow . Pull it hard enough and SNAP

Old 06-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Anyone want to offer a opinion...SixsixT....RaptorOwner...1BadRaptor....? ??

Old 06-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wshrdskin went to a 12.5 from a 11 :1 but went to a stage 2 cam at the same time and really liked it. 1BAD picked up a couple of lengths just with the piston.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Honestly, with the length mine was down I cant feel the difference but have raced a few people that did mods on their bikes to beat me before and I still got them. I would definitely go with the 13.5:1 setup. Your system will be exactly like mine except for the porting. Just went on Memorial Day to break it in and I sure do love the power of this machine. The first race I was with Mad Racings 727 and he got me by about 3 bike lengths and then Raced a DS730 and we were swapping wins by the end of the day. The next day I got the 730 3 times in a row, couldnt find Mad Racing but found out later his engine expoded [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But sure did want to see what it would do then. Each time I raced on it the second day the bike felt like it was getting faster. I will be swapping some gears this week and heading back to Pismo on the 26th to break it in some more before the 4th.

I do feel it pulls more at the top end now, because I never get out of 3rd gear and it just pulls and pulls all the way!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Depending on the rain and everything, I will have my high comp piston within next week. There is no time to get it here this week, install, and break in before the Ky races. So I will just sit back and see if the races go through or not. If they don't, I will order my piston this week and have it ready for our local races. If we get to go to KY, then I will get the piston as soon as I get back and try to have it ready for the local races.

Hopefully I get a good pick up from the low compression pump gas cruiser style 686.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Lets asume you gain 3-4 lengths....is it really worth it? You can probably get the same gain by dyno jetting (or more). Have you ever had anything that required race fuel only? Beside the price, it's a pain too find depending on where you live....sometimes making ordering the stuff necessary. Just another experienced view guys...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
Gary

Quick Reply: Raptor Tech Guys...Piston Options...