Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Stock Raptor in snow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Raptor in snow.

Any idea how it would handle? Someone told me it would be very horrible? Anyone tried to ride one during winter weather? Let me know your opinion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Everything up to almost 4 inches is fun as hell.. the fun factor goes down considerably for every inch above that

Old 06-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

hmm, so i can have a ton of fun up until 4 inches eh? sounds good . Thanks

Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

I probably know best on this, I live in igloo land and have rode in -25 to -40C weather on my raptor! The work wicked, some of the best rear tires out there, radials kick butt in the snow, even better with maybe 250 studs a rear tire and 50 in each front or so.... The torque the raptor has makes it the king. I have fast trekker rears and I haven't found a quad out there 2wd that can go where I can with my 450 studs a rear tire trekkers. I make it up alot of hills sleds can't with the studs on ice and with the mad torque. You can lug it to get traction better with the bigger engine where other quads like the Pred have to be revved up quite high but it's easier to regain the momentum too on the Raptor. I could still pull 4th gear wheelies on the river with hardpact snow with my stock tires, that's gotta tell you something? Have fun, winter riding is some of the best riding there is!

Old 06-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

I( put chains on my Raptor last year. I had to take the heel guards off because the chains slapped them and that was a little creepy but the roost it threw was unbelievable.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

Chains would be deadly, deadly good, and deadly bad, like you said, they are more meant for slower speeds cause their heavy weight throws them outwards into the heal gaurds you desperately need with chains on. You take them off and that's asking for disaster, even riding with them on I wouldn't go faster than 3rd gear, if they come off, they could take your head off let alone fenders and what be it... I leave the chains for my 4x4 and slower moving rides, stick to studs if you wanna simply all out wail... I can go through 20 foot sections of over a foot snow no problem cause they keep good momentum, after that you loose speed and dig down too much. I've made it through 3 foot drifts wheelieng through it, but that's like maybe 5 feet across. I could consistantly ride through over half a foot of snow no problem to 3/4 as long as the base was hard enough pact snow, or solid ground/ice, that's powder snow. It just gets really hard to steer in that, you have to sit on the tank! But river riding is the best, nice twisty small creeks and rivers, that's a blast sliding out sideways with them studs pushing you hard, feels like your stock tires on hardpact gravel! Best thing bout winter is you stay spotless, clean your machine once, and it stays clean the whole season if you stay clear of dirty roads and what not!

Old 06-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

Has anybody tried sand tires in the snow, I heard that it works really well.

Old 06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

Works really well, but they don't take the abuse so well if you cross roads and hit the odd stump, rock or whatever will rip them tires to shreads in no time. If you rip around on some lawns like I seen in vids with them with bout half a foot to a foot of snow, yeah, they work deadly, but I wouldn't take them on a river or ice bed or anysort nor any trail. If you want something like paddles go with Realtors, they can handle anything I mentioned no problem, however you will have to step it up to 22" tires since you can't get them in 20" treads... If I could, I'd go with them if they came in 20's, but I don't like the bigger 22's... Maybe down the road I might try them, who knows, I'm happy with my trekkers as is...

Old 06-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

lol that reminds me of my friend n 1 this past winter... we were racing across a field and the wind was out of the north and blew al lthe snow to the south end( where we stop) and we were haulin and such.. and we all of the sudden out of nowhere hit a 2 ft deep snow drift... and the dranage ditch was level with the ground bcuz of the drifting and that was hella fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

where do you buy studs for your tyres? do the tyres come with them?

Quick Reply: Stock Raptor in snow.