Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'00 Kodiak whine...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2000, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddys Kodiak has this high pitched whine that sounds like a jet engine. It is downright annoying. Will this go away? Can something be done to lessen the noise?

Also, the left front headlight blew its bulb during the first use. Is this a common problem???

Old 08-07-2000, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

The whine is actually the vents.
The headlamps. funny you say that. Both of my lightbulbs popped out and were bouncing around, inside the headlamp. I replaced mine at $10.50 per bulb. It didnt seem to be a problem on Yamahas end. In my case the bulb just fell apart from the housing. Since the new bulbs all is fine.

600 miles no problems. Runs great. And brake are still like new.

Old 08-08-2000, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

same here, however my dealer replaced both of my bulbs under warranty even though the bike was a month out of warranty there was a service buliton from yamaha about the problem. the bulliton even specified a certan light bulb to use to stop the problem. and that whine seems to be the norm with this bike. my brakes are fine also. I have herd alot of people say they have had trouble with the brakes but I have almost 150 hrs on my bike, no signs of trouble

Old 08-08-2000, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

I equate that whine with a Yamaha power band kicking in. Annoying? Only if its passing you on the trails. I had a headlight pop out also, only problem so far after 450 miles.

Old 08-08-2000, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

I kind of like the "supercharger" noise effect. I didn't have any problems with my headlights yet, and I ride with them on most of the time.

Old 08-08-2000, 11:53 AM
Mac
Range Rover

I have the whine as well, only when I let off the throttle that I hear the noise, same its the fins on the clutch vents. I too will be replacing the rear brake pads. My dealer has been told these are soft pads and will wear out faster than pads that are have harder metallic material, but these harder pads will squeel. So, if you want longer lasting pads you will have to put up with the squeeling noisy brakes. Just like automobiles. But again if you go into lots of muddy trails and apply your brakes probably will out the softer pads sooner than you want. Think about it the MX riders go thru brake pads faster than the avg trail rider. I went about 700 miles on the rear pads.
I have notice the front cover black lid doesn't stay connected to the handlebar switch cover; the rear rack upper bar is welded very poorly because after I mounted a Kimpek gas can rack with a 2 1/2 gal can filled with gas it gave up and bent over, soulution was to add some gussets and a extra matching bar below with gussets to the main portion of the rack.
I called the Yamaha reps in Cal and told them all about these little problems. AJ, one of the reps, told me that I was the first one he ever heard about these brake pads and plastic connections and rack strength weaknesses.
Here's their phone number for all who want to give them some postive or negative responses.
1(800)962-7926 Customer relations West coast time 8am to 5pm M-F

Mac The Red Rhino

ps. I did tell them I enjoy riding the Kodiak 2000, that I was able to ride in the same muck Trail 8 has to offer in Iron County, Wisconsin near Hurley, Wis as a Polaris 500 Sportman and Mag 500 and wasn't anymore physical wore out then they were!!!!!

Old 08-09-2000, 03:06 AM
Trailblazer

I too experienced the "jet engine" sounding whine and thought there might be a problem. However, it looks like that is the norm. If you add the aftermarket F-16 afterburner kit you get five distinct levels of "burner" power that is way louder than the whine!

No probs with the lights or brakes on my Kodiak. Just a lousy job from the dealer in initially setting it up.

Old 08-11-2000, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

My wife and I got two new Kodiaks two months ago and I have ridden a lot with a Sportsman 500 friend in some very steep mountain country and he's convinced that his next ATV will be a Kodiak! The only annoying thing I've found with the Kodiak is the rear break "squeeking", only way to make it quit is periodicly applying the rear break levers, no adjustment seems to help. Only one (left headlight) bulb (high beam) didn't work from day one. Awsome transmission!!