Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

250lbs sell the Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250lbs sell the Raptor

I was not jumping when the shock brock,And I do know a little about compresion.rebond, and preloud but sence the 2001 Raptor only has preloud adjustment I guess what I know doesnt matter. I think the raptor is a very powerful quad just not for a larger people.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll give you guys this, the thread didn't start off very well.

But, don't bash the DS. It isn't slow, it IS durable and extremely well built.

Yamaha is a little cheesy to have a low weight limit. Can't believe a dealer is really saying it won't cover things because of weight.

There are a few fishy things here. . . why are we still talking about a 2001?

Common Baldmike. . . if anything. . . Tranny hahaha, Jetted your Raptor lately? Hahaha. . . ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] - I gotta go jet the Wife's Raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img])

But seriously, sounds like this guy got a lemon and he's still pissed about it. . . this really isn't any place to vent. Don't think anyone here really wants to hear someone bash their ride.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I always thought the V Force was for the 250+lb range rider.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
I'll give you guys this, the thread didn't start off very well.

But, don't bash the DS. It isn't slow, it IS durable and extremely well built.

Yamaha is a little cheesy to have a low weight limit. Can't believe a dealer is really saying it won't cover things because of weight.

There are a few fishy things here. . . why are we still talking about a 2001?

Common Baldmike. . . if anything. . . Tranny hahaha, Jetted your Raptor lately? Hahaha. . . ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] - I gotta go jet the Wife's Raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img])

But seriously, sounds like this guy got a lemon and he's still pissed about it. . . this really isn't any place to vent. Don't think anyone here really wants to hear someone bash their ride.
Look pal the 2001 had tranny problems, so whats your point ?
No I haven't jetted my carbs lately, I will once I have my new sparks pipe.
And yes you should run along and jet the wifes bike, shes got good taste in quads by the way.
the DS may be faster, bigger and by far uglyer but If I need to sit on a couch I'll stay at home....

Old 06-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont even know why this thread was made but here is my 2 cents.....

Both bikes are great bikes
Both bikes can be hopped up to your liking and/or your wallet
Both bikes are great for drag and trail

So, with that said. I believe they are just about even.

I know, I ride both of them.

For it to take a dump, like Duneme said, it was probably a lemon in the first place.

But then again, they do need tune ups, oil changes and adjustments.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Truce.

This is where these threads usually get out of hand.

Trust me man. . . if we were face to face or if you could hear the words rather than see them you would know I was just ribbin' with you.

Giving myself a hard time because I was working the Raptor over and I have one. That's all.

I think we both have covered some of the shortcomings of each bike but, please, don't make it personal.

I don't think its right to bash myself or anyone for choosing a quad based on criteria that suits them.

I wouldn't agree that the DS is only for those that can only sit on the couch. Our group rides usually have 6 riders when we go out (2 Raptor's, 2 DS's and 2 Shee's) The DS is usually leading.

I agree with you that the Raptor is better looking. My point on the tranny is that the Raptor is a weaker engine - especially when subjected to performance modifications (witnessed a broken connecting rod last trip out.) The DS is night and day easier to jet than the Raptor. The Raptor has more aftermarket parts available. The DS can be duned all day long then put away and duned all day again without the rider feeling as fatigued as they may feel on a different quad. I believe the Raptor is also better than many quads on this point but, the DS is a bit better (at least for the desert / dunes). With the new 450 class neither is really the choice of a track racer.

My point in all this is the DS deserves respect for being a durable, well engineered, quick and comfortable quad that it is.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I can live with that, lol..........

Old 06-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dunnycat
If you weigh over 250 lbs. Don't buy a Raptor, and If you own one sell it quick. you will have nothing but hell with that chunk of garbage.
Sorry to hear about your problems, Dunny. But my "chunk of garbage" Raptor has been hauling my 250 lb. azz through desert races for over 2 years without a problem. I wouldn't trust any other quad to get me through some of that terrain....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You really can't beleive it? It sounds JUST like a typical Yamaha stealer to me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

No comment on the DS vs Raptor thing. We all have our favorites for one reason or another. Personally I like redheads the most.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-23-2004, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
(witnessed a broken connecting rod last trip out.)

Was this mine back at MLK day???? LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: 250lbs sell the Raptor