Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Replacing Raptor clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Raptor clutch help

Got a new stock clutch kit and wondering how much work I am going to have tomorrow. Anyone have any advise on replacing a clutch and a "HOW TO" instruction. I can wing most of it as usual but just need a heads up in case I run into any problenms. Can anyone tell me the "EASY" way to do it before I go cracking into my Rappy.
Thanks in advance.

AC

Old 06-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Remove the footpeg and heel guard. Seems the rear brake is a possible remove or at least relocate out of the way. The clutch case cover is a bit tricky getting off and on but it will come off and go back on with a little creative effort. Make sure to line up the marks on the clutch boss etc when putting back together. If you don't have a service manual you can get a .pdf file version in my signatures website. It's not to difficult.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the cover bolt that is near the foot peg stays in the cover coming out and going back on.

Did you get a cover gasket?

I think it's easier to pull the clutch shaft out of the cover when putting it back together just make sure the splines on the pressure plate are facing the right way when you put the cover on.

There is a bolt hiding behind the water pump so you need to take the pump off to get to it.

I like to tilt the quad over a bit by putting the right side up on blocks. It's easier to work on and you can drain the oil afterwards to get out any crap that might have gotten in there during the job.

Don't over tighten the banjo bolts for the oil lines, the case will crack. Use a torque wrench on every bolt possible.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What up Mitch? Good save with the bolt behind the water pump, I forgot about that one. It would make it easier to remove the cover with that bolt out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2004, 01:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Dave. I hear you guys are going to Pismo on the 4th. I might come out for the day. Eddie was just over to replace his water pump seals. He said his bike was running pretty good at Dumont until that stupid plug blew out.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, I won't be at Pismo for the 4th. Larry will be in Montana at that time. I'm not going to Montana this year, the wifes work won't allow that type vacation for a year or two. Pismo the weekend of August 19th I believe it is for sure, maybe a weekend in the last half of July, we'll see.

Did Sam ever find that sand drag place off the 215 fwy?

Old 06-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think he's gone anywhere with it since Dumont. He needs to get it on a dyno before he runs it hard anymore.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That's August 19th for Pismo. I need to do the same one day, one that reads exhuast gas and gives RPM reading and get it tuned as best I can. Playing by ear and seat of the pants just aint good enough anymore. LOL

Old 06-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The dyno guy by my house is suppose to have his dyno going in a week or two. We could maybe get a deal getting a few people together on a Saturday or something.

Old 06-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Damn, that's a long way to go for a Dyno run. Let me know the cost, maybe Larry will Dyno his DS that day to. It'll be August before he's ready though. Won't have the 730 installed till then, he's got to take his tranny back out again and have the gears back cut to try and solve his slipping out of gear problem. Maybe I'll do it before then if the price is right.