Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Absolutely Unbelievable! Kenz 686

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely Unbelievable!

My 686 done by Kenz Cycle Tech is almost too fast. Scary!

2 months or so ago I was near trading in my Raptor for a Banshee or, 450. After doing some Research I decided to try 686 to see if it would make my Raptor compete w/ the faster Banshees and, others at the dunes. Since everyone else seemed to have a CC or, Trinity or, Sparks I figured why have have the same mods as others done the same old way. I saw that a Company Called Kenz had the fastest bikes at Fourstroke Wars and, decided to give Ken a call. I was Sold right away. I had called Sparks and, Trinity before hand and, their "You need us and, we don't need you" attitudes were a turnoff. I'm happy I made Kenz my choice! They are some of the nicest, easy to work with and, knowledgable people in their field I've ever dealt with.

I sent my whole Motor out to Arizona to get the works. 686, Porting, Higher comp piston, bigger valves, big cam, stiffer springs, Carillo Rod (too be safe) HD Clutch and, misc small items. After a relitively quick turn around (even though it took me 4 days to find a Carillo Rod since they were on back orderer) I got it back and, slapped it in. It fired right up but, something seemed a miss. It seemed to be struggling bad! After 20 jetting changes while working with Ken he finally said send it back (the hole bike) I must have done something wrong because the motor made nearly 60 HP on his "Stingy" Dyno and, I should be in awe. So I did. After a day of tuning they found out that the Quiet Core i use in my pipe was SO RESTRICTIVE they it flowed 1/8 the ampount the standard race core flowed on the flow bench. Ken said "he can't believe it"! with a core change the bike was raging out 57-58 HP again and, had it's broad torque range back!

After what seemed like eternity to get back From Mesa AZ I finally picked it up at the dock Friday. I was a little skeptical that all it could be was the crappy Quiet Core but, I had faith. As soon as i got it home i filled it up with gas and, it fired immediatly. I could tell right away it was stronger just by the idle and, a few quick snaps of the throttle.

I grabbed my helmet and, putted over to the Forest Preserve for a test.. On the way their on the street i did a test me and, friend set for the "tell tale sign of power" for us to judge I stood up on the pegs and, in the low to mid of 3rd I wacked the gas - HOLY SHNIKIES - I almost flipped it!!!! I scared the crap out of my self. Thing felt nearly 2 stroke like in the way it revs and, explodes into power but, still had that broad torque feeling. There is a huge opening in the Forest Preserve where they have 2 soccer fields and, i shot straight there. This thing is ridiculous now. I did 10-15 holeshots and, blaired across that field happier as a man that one the Lottery! Any Gear i want with no clutch at almost any speed i can stab the throttle and, the front end shoots for the sky. I still have a standard axle and, w/ the new found power it is no problem to slide now - the tires spin like tornado's at will. THIS THING IS AWESOME! My riding buddy (who helped me put it together initially) met me over at the feild. He has a Really worked Banshee and, is a 2 stroke fanatic. I told him to try it now! I got on it and, in 2 min he had it on the grab bar. He came back with a huge smile on his face and, said "now that is a fast bike, now it's scary fun, he almost might take back a few things he said about 4 strokes! "Hope you have $ left for a extended swingarm!"

I can't wait to get to the Dunes this weekend. It is time for payback on all my buddies with built up Banshees and, YFZ450's. Now I know what you guys w/ 686's rave about. I'm darn sure this bike will make alot of "Unsuspecting Built-up He/She's sorry! LOOK OUT!!!!

Sorry for the Long Story but I had to Share!

Old 06-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Absolutely Unbelievable!

Heh that's awesome!!

Get rid of that big gun and I bet you'll get even more power....Add like an Alba or Sparks pipe or something...

Old 06-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Absolutely Unbelievable! Kenz 686

What cam and what compression are you running?

Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Big Gun exhaust has never been known as a big power exhaust. Alba, Sparks, HMF, or Yoshi will give you a extra boost of HP over the Big Gun. But congrat's on the new ride. I know it's awesome to take a spin after each upgrade. I just got my 14:1 installed Saturday, and I still haven't gotten over the low end torque, and how hard it pulls on top end.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have found the GYT-R to make really good power even over my Yoshi...i had the Full CF Comp Complete...

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, my builder told me that i may pick up a HP or 2 if i switch to a better designed header but, I have to look into a swingarm or, maybe one of those extensions first. It will sufice for now, with the power it has i'm not sure 1-2 hp will make a difference, it is already out of control. I'm still in shock!

Old 06-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

LOL! yea the 686's make really good power...

Lemme know which swingarm you are lookin at getting or what rout u you, im in the same boat..and am considering the TuckerPro, for like 650 Chromed.

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Tucker +6 if you are interested in it. Just PM me.

The bike sounds fast! with a well running 686 you will find it hard NOT to wheelie LOL.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

LOL aint that right!

im looking at going with a +2, and hoping that it helps...im not drag racing, only now and then!

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 06-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

DragN:

Those are some really nice quads...that raptor is insane...a 770 BWA HAHA, and im guessin by the trophy/plaque...that, that beast is fast as $hit!!!

-bLuRRRR27-

Quick Reply: Absolutely Unbelievable! Kenz 686