Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

surprising

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2000, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised when i saw that the polaris scrambler 500 2x4 0-30 time (2.65) was faster than the raptors 0-30 time at (2.80).I also thought the scrambler was going to have a faster top speed too but it was only 60mph.Oh well no biggy just kinda surprised me.
Jeff

Old 08-09-2000, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, don't place a lot of faith in the "radar gun" test results of ATV Sport Magazine!!! I have never seen so many inconsistancies in my life! I really feel like the testing baselines that they must use are always different...riding surfaces, weather, terrain, the dimwit holding the radar gun and the stopwatch, i.e. reflex time etc. All of the circumstances are never the same, so how can the results be reliable. I have subscribed to all of the ATV Magazines for many years, and ATV Sport has what stikes me as the most inept, amatueristic people ever to be publishing a magazine. Some of the info they print is almost laughable! I don't believe a majority of what I read. Do you honestly believe a Polaris 500 Scrambler is actually going to beat a Raptor?? I certainly would'nt stake any bets on that one. Next they'll probably tell us a TRX90 is faster than a Banshee!

Old 08-09-2000, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Good point i didnt believe it at first but now i really dont.I new for sure the scrambler wouldnt beat it but i wasnt sure about the 0-30mph though.Jeff

Old 08-09-2000, 03:28 AM
Range Rover

Thats totally believable. You gotta think, those Polaris quads may not be the racing quads everyone wants, but the Automatic, from the start crushes most others....no doubt. I own a 400L Sport, and I dont think Ive ever ran into ANY quad that beats me to 30 mph.... 0-30 for the Auto, is as simple as Hammering the throttle, for a manual, its clutching and shifting. Even one shift makes the difference when starting from a dead stop...until the more powerful or faster quad gets in rippin gear, and its all over. I fully believe the 500 could easily have a faster 0-30 time, but its already at half its potential, while the Raptor will be just comin out of its shell for a little stroll to 80 mph. Besides..who races for a 3 second duration? Watch GNCC races, the Automatic Polaris Sport 400, that someone is riding, usually takes the first turn...at least thats what I saw the last one I was at. I was actually impressed when I watched it beat the other 30 up the hill and thru the turn. So, I wont bash on autos. They have their advantages, and hill-climbing is a blast But, I will also love my Raptor on the way. I will have both, and ride both, and love both. When I want to climb an Insanely big steep hill,(meaning straight up and scary) Ill take my Sport, and when I want to blaze through trails, drag open roads for the speed rush, and hammer a few jumps...Ill take the Raptor. (No dunes in PA, so thats out). I think I will love my situation.

Let me know what you think on the Auto thing. I know they crush from the hole..if you have the power and mods to do so.

Cheers all.