Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bigger Carb on a blaster

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger Carb on a blaster

Hey, I have a 95 blaster that is pretty much stock, aside from a few small mods. I'm gonna start stockpiling parts here and there, and when I rebuild my quad sometime in the next year or so, build it up with the new stuff. My friend has an 85 TT200 (I believe that's the model), and it has the exact same motor as the blaster, only a huge carb on it, like 36mm it looks like. Well, I figured if I find a nice 34 or 36mm carb of off a dirt bike, get a good jet kit to put it on the quad, I should be able to put it on my blaster and make it come quite alive, am I right or is there more work involved than this? I know I"ll have to find a larger airbox boot and same for the intake boot to the reed valve, and probably get a twist throttle kit to eliminate the TORS system, but should I encounter any major problems along the way??

SOmetime soon, I'm rebuilding my motor and am gonna get it ported and polished, and send the head out to get milled also, I'm just looking to make it run way better without boring it to 240. I've been reading around, and can't really find a high compression piston anywhere for the blaster either...I figured getting the cylinder re-sleeved, ported and polished, and putting a bigger carb on with a high compression piston would be quite a performance gain over stock.

Oh yeah, and please no "get a bigger quad" stories, this is the smallest quad I've ever ridden or owned since I was 12, my fiance convinced me to get her a quad, and now I'm making it a little nicer since we got a pretty good deal on it.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

You would only need that big of a carb with a 240 kit. I am going to be using a 33 on my 240 from hollywood dirt. I wouldn't suggest going any bigger then a 30 on stock bore.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why wouldn't you use it on the stock bore?? Like I said, the carb that came on the TT200, is at least a 33mm, I thought it was bigger even perhaps, and that's a stock bike, stock bore, stock exhaust, and it runs fine and great, and I'm fairly certain it's about 99% the same as a blaster motor. The blaster motor is super dumbed down stock, the carb is extremely tiny for the stock bore. Most 80 (85cc now) MX 2stroke dirt bikes run 28mm carbs, and is not uncommon to replace the stockers with larger carbs for racing, so I hardly see 30mm being the largest you can use on a 195cc displacement, 2 1/2 times as much cc's as an 80. Stock 125's usually use a 36 or 38mm carb, so again I don't understand why a 36mm would be too large for a 195cc engine. If anyone has an explanation why this carb would be to big, please enlighten me. THanks again for the help

Old 06-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

well the problem is, if u get a carb that is too big, then the air going through it will slow down, resulting in a power loss. Get a BETTER carb, not a BIGGER carb.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, that makes sense....if you're running a carb too big for the engine size. WHy would it be too big if a 125cc dirt bike runs a 38mm?? or a dirtbike with the same engine as this quad run a way bigger carb, and be fine? I understand what the complications with running a carb too big would be, but that's not what I'm asking.....why would a keihin 36mm flatside PWK carb on a 195cc blaster have a "too big of a carb effect", and not have that problem with a YZ125 running the same carb, only 2mm's bigger?? that's the question....

Old 06-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

The correct carb size has nothing to do with the amount of cc's of a engine. The Yz 125 runs with a 33mm carb and the blaster has more cc's but a smaller carb..it has alot more to do with air flow and porting then it does engine size. You can put on as big a carb as you want to but you are still restricted by the intake ports as well as the air flow....