Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Twist or no Twist???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist or no Twist???

I've always ridden MX so I'm very used to a twist throttle so it was natural for me to think of swapping out the thumb for a twist when I bought my new quad. But no I'm hearing that most people that put on a twist don't like it and they put back on the thumb throttle? Is this true? How do you like your twist throttle? Also I am thinking of getting the pro motion is this a good brand? Also can you get them with different settings (1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, etc..)? Thanks!! Oh one more thing I do most of my riding in the dunes.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a rule I try to stay away from twist grips on high torque four stroke atvs like the raptor. If you are going to use it on a 2 stroke, then by all means give it a try. Since most of your riding will be duning, then you might be happy with the twist. I ride a lot of woods and flattrack racing and I find that a twist grip would only get me in trouble. Wide open dunes wouldnt cause nearly as much of a risk issue. I say try it out. There are a few guys on here that have them on raptors and such and love them.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I'm an ex-mxer too Eyetattoo, and I don't like the twist on a quad. On my dirtbikes it was just second nature, but its very ackward on a quad. I had a 1/4 turn on my raptor ,and I HATED it. It just went from 1/4 throttle to WFO if I hit a bump or accidentally pulled back on the grip from bump steer, etc. Made for some VERY scary situations out in the woods. A 1/2 turn throttle maybe better, but I think twist throttles only have one place, and thats on a dirtbike......

Theres a TON of threads about this very topic. Check out the search function and search for "twist" and "throttle" and you'll find atleast 8 or more threads on it. Good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the motion pro twist on my piped raptor only cause my g/f broke the stock thumb throttle and the twist was 100.00 cheaper i thought it wouldnt be much different from dirtbikes which i used to ride boy was i wrong ! I hated it at first and could barely ride it but after a few rides i got used to it and now i love it and i ride trails mx dunes ect. Just make sure you have good grips on it cause mine gets real slippery when i go on mud rides and is hard to twist. Also my g/f and buddys hate it so i never have people wanting to ride my quad.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I use a twist,..its better

Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

Any other thoughts or input??

Old 07-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I've been riding twist throttles for years. In fact, my entire riding group (including utilities) have switched to twist throttles. It feels the same as a dirt bike twist. I prefer the motion pro vortec due to the short range of motion. It gives excellent throttle response. Once your used to it, you'll never go back!

~HoundDog

Old 07-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

You move your body weight and, shift your self much more on a quad than a bike. There fore you find your self hanging on to the bars in different ways. For instance you lean into a right turn and, are trying to throttle through it while working a twist throttle and, holding on???? Not easy to do.. I had one on an old blaster and it was ok but, i'd rather have the thumb throttle!

Old 07-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my twist throttle...I wouldn't go with anything else.