Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee over revving

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee over revving

Recently I replaced my throttle cable and clutch cable. The shee decided it wants to rev to the moon when it's supposed to be idling. I noticed a bit of oil buildup near the exhaust ports. So I decided to replace the o-rings and bottom cylinder gaskets. But it's still over revving. Is there a possibility that it's sucking in air in the head gasket even though it looks ok (no oil spitting out)? I don't know what else it can be. I've tried adjusting the idle screws on the carbs and I get the same result. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I had a problem with excessive revving on my banshee...it baffled me to no end..

then one day I was looking at the top of my carbs (motion pro carb tops----tors eliminator). I noticed that there is a chance that the cable is being pulled out of the little tube that goes into the carb top. whenever I turned my bars, etc....I was in fact pulling the cable out of the carb cap causing the revs to increase to a scary level. I used a bit of rtv under the rubber boots on the carb caps and the problem went away (surprise).

The only real way to know if you have a leak in your head gasket is to do a compression test.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Take a look and see if the carb slides are all the way down at idle, there should only be a small gap. your throttle cable might be out of adjustment.

If the cable checks out ok, then you need to hunt for an air leak, spray carb cleaner around the jugs, head,etc if it revs higher you have a leak there.

Good Luck

BTW welcome to the forums.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm baffled myself. I did a compression check when I did the original cable upgrades a month ago. It stuck at 130psi and I let it sit for 5 minutes and it didn't drop. So I assumed it is good. I haven't lubed the cables yet, but I do have some lube that I can put in. I just didn't think it could be that silly of a problem.

Notice that I'm not moving my handle bars in order for it to rev so high. I don't move them at all. Also, my carb sliders are all the way down, but I guess it can still be affected. I'll lube them up and see if that helps. Thanks a lot.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: trailrider500
Take a look and see if the carb slides are all the way down at idle, there should only be a small gap. your throttle cable might be out of adjustment.

If the cable checks out ok, then you need to hunt for an air leak, spray carb cleaner around the jugs, head,etc if it revs higher you have a leak there.

Good Luck

BTW welcome to the forums.
Is there a possibility that there's a head gasket leak even if there is no oil spewing out? It looks mint to me. I don't have any carb cleaner handy. I only have some WD40, but I'm assuming that isn't a good idea?

Old 07-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah...I was just guessing...I searched for an airleak on mine for a week or more until I figured out the cable problem...Just for reference...I was able to get it to rev high without turning the bars...It would idle nice and low until I pushed the throttle...then out of control revs. Luckily mine was a simple fix. Going down the trail and having the throttle stick wide open is no fun.

Like mentioned above...get yourself a spray bottle and mist around the carb boots and head while it's running....you know right away if you have a problem.

double check that the slides are in the right sides and the balancer tube is hooked up between both carbs.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I double checked the slides last night. And the choke tube is connected. I'll get that spray bottle out after work and do some testing. What should I look for--bubbling of some sort?

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

It will bubble and/or cause the engine to spit, sputter and rev.