Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

fastest stock ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY dad has a 87 qaudzilla it has a wiseco .080 piston,fmf fatty pipe,power core silencer,uni filter,and is ported.The thing is a freakin rocket ship!!! It is not that it is so fast but how m8uch torque it has crazy.It has beat 2 stock ds 650's a crap load of banshee's and a last rebel 330r.the only thing tyhat has ever beat it is a banshee with a long rod kit.That was when he had a worn out piston though.They where racing in sand the banshee had a paddles and my dad had 20/12/10 black waters.That is the best excuses I have come up with yet.Tell me if U guys come up with any better ones.LOL!!!!

Old 08-11-2000, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

Well I am going to dawg the DS because I have rode one and there is no comparison to the banshee. Yeah the DS is fast but it is a 650 I expected more from that size of an engine. About drag racing, a banshee is the best quad for this kind of racing hands down! You said a DS could beat a banshee or even a slightly modified banshee in a race, you are nuts! A stock banshee is going to approach the upper 70's easily. Throw on some pipes and new reeds with a K&N airfilter and then you are talking about a rocket ship. DS would not stand a chance. Two stroke rules!!!! Long live the BANSHEE!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2000, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah the Raptor may be the fastest stock quad made but we don't know that for sure yet because we are yet to see one in the real world. Anyways a Banshee is around $700 cheaper and for $700 you could turn the Banshee into a Raptor eater easily. Stock the banshee is so restricted especially the exhaust. So I will stick with my 2001 BANSHEE!!!

Old 08-11-2000, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

jy2276, it has been my experience that the DS will beat the Banshee stock for stock. Not by much, but it is quicker and I assume faster. I have never seen them both run top speed together but in drags the DS wins. Also, a stock Banshee does not EASILY approach upper 70's. It will top out at 75 MAX, I would say 72 MPH is a fair & easily acheivable top speed.

Old 08-11-2000, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

If you have never seen them both run at top speed together then how can you say the DS will beat a banshee in a drag race? I have seen the both run together wound out in top gear and the banshee will run down the DS and pass it on top end which is typical of a two stroke. Yeah the DS will probably get the jump on it just because it is a 4 stroke. A 400ex will almost always get the jump on a stock banshee but it is far from being able to out run it in a long drag. And yeah a banshee can do at least 75 which will give any quad made all it can handle. Be proud of your banshee because I have rode many quads, the DS included and the banshee is the most thrilling ride going today and I don't see anything stopping it including the new Raptor. Untill a manufacturer comes out with a new sport two stroke the banshee is always going to rule when it comes to speed!

Old 08-11-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

JY2276, I said the DS is QUICKER, but I assume that it is faster as well. I have never seen the 2 run top speed against each other.

Drag race = acceleration = quicker.
Faster = top speed

A quad can be quicker than another but slower in top speed. Trust me, I love my Banshee but I'm open to the idea that there can be a faster/quicker quad....

Old 08-11-2000, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

the 'zilla goes 79 and change stock. Its pretty pathetic that people are bragging about the DS beating the Banshee in stop speed considering it takes 300cc's more to go 5 miles per hour faster at the most. Yamaha has always been the fastest stock(after '89 maybe '90 im not sure) and dropped that title when the Bombardier was realeased but in less then two years it is regained its title as fastest stock w/ the Raptor even though the Raptor isnt that much of an improvement over the bombardier but im pretty sure there is an extra intake valve and about 10 more cc's but that will probably still give it the edge

Old 08-11-2000, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A simple gearing change and a STOCK DS runs with piped banshees into 6th gear. Yeah, the banshee does catch up with the DS at the end of the drag, but zero to 65-70 the DS leads 98% of the drag strip. When I have had a pipe and carb on the beast it beat quite a few modified banshees in medium length sand drags at Little Sahara in OK.

Old 08-13-2000, 02:48 AM
Range Rover

when you figure top speed there is alot of factors that play in they got 68mph was there a
lot of wind. was this dude sitting upright.
was they clocked on pavement.

Last winter I had the slowest banshee ever
4th gear 4 mph. it was a little icy that day

with that thought on mind. Is a banshee with cut fenders faster than non cut.

Old 08-13-2000, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

1990 suzuki lt500 stock 84mph on radar 1996 yamaha banshee stock 76mph on radar 1988 honda 250r fmf top end pipe 77mph on radar all on the ice with 18" studded ice tires

Quick Reply: fastest stock ATV