Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which Twist Throttle Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2000, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 00 Grizzly, and the thumb throttle and I just aren't going to go the distance. Has any one who has made the coversion to a twist throttle got any good info I could use, like best kit to get, problems installing, etc?

Old 08-10-2000, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

outside of one ride on my first quad, I have had twisters on all of them since, including the current KQ & Warrior. My feeling is, aside from the obvious strain on the thumb in extended rides, that the thumb, as the strongest digit on the hand,belongs on the grips not on some button,
leaving control of the bars up to the left hand & four fingers of the right hand. A twister also gives much more control in the rough stuff for the same reason as above. The reason some people don't feel comfortable with a twister is because their riding position is not correct: they ride with the elbows low, below the height of the bars and when encountering rough terrain or jumps this causes them to rotate the throttle on, making an exciting unplanned ride! The attack position calls for the upper body to be bent forward slightly at the waist, arms bent with elbows high. In this position no matter how rocky or otherwise rough the terrain, I've never had a throttle open unexpectadly.
Well so much for the sermon...Motion Pro is pretty much the standard for twisters. I had them installed on my current rides when I bought them. I really like the Magura but it was not an option at the time. The nice feature with the Magura was that it had two settings..one for mx, and one for enduro. The former setting was about 1/2 turn idle to full, the latter was the normal rotation.
I installed the first one I had myself, but decided to let the dealer do the other ones. Glad I did in the case of the KQ. It took two mechanics almost three hours to do it. Thank God my deal was to pay for the throttle & them install it. Two mechs. at $55per hr=$300 plus!!