Couldnt agree more! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 07-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help on Raptor modifications

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
Originally posted by: maddog56
You dont have to send your engine into craycraft, sparks, trinity, powroll, or any other major shop to be fast. Find someone who does good work near you and bypass the waiting lists, long turnaround times, and shipping costs. If one of these shops is reasonably close, then its something to consider, but not necessary by any means.
Very bad advice. Not everyone with a die grinder is qualified to port a Raptor head. Do a search, there have been a couple of "small shop" horror stories posted. For the cost of shipping, I would not let "no name" shop touch my stuff.
Hmm, I guess you should tear capt bags a new one for taking his bike to kenz? I'm not talking about taking the bike to some guy who's never touched a raptor head before, but you dont have to go to the other extreme either. Believe it or not, craycraft was nothing a few years ago. They made a name for themselves by doing the work locally and expanding. Why could you not do the same in your area? You dont have to belong to one of these shops to do a good job. I really resent your "very bad advice" remark.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might find that a shop that is able to work magic, there are thousands of them to choose from. How good are those odds? If you find a "no name" shop that can build a Raptor motor like Craycraft, make sure you tell us all about it. Until then, smart money is on a builder with a proven track record. For the cost of shipping, there is absolutely no reason to take a chance. Craycraft has been building race motors for many years. The Raptor has only been out for a few, do the math.

If your Raptor will outrun mine, you win this debate. Ready to put your money where your mouth is?

Old 07-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Bob didnt really pop onto the scene until after the 2002 models had been released. Kenz made a splash at the last four stroke wars and is now showing up on these forums and at the tracks. There are other smaller shops in the east I know of that have been making fast raptors for a while now, they just arent nationally known through the internet like most of these are. I have no qualms about taking my machine to a shop WITH EXPERIENCE and proof in the form of raptors they have built to get work done. I dont need my bike to be the same machine that everyone else on these forums has or have to take it to the same place because everyone thinks they are the best. And I think its possible to have a great bike without doing that. If you want to think that it has to have a major name on it to be fast and reliable, then I will just leave you alone. They are great bikes, but its not the only way to get one.

If I had the money you did, maybe I could get in a little quibble with you and we could both be macho a-holes and challenge each other. I have more important and pressing things to put my money towards and my raptor is usually last on the list. So you win the race, you are a better man, I bow in awe of your might... Now you can go be a tough guy and beat someone else.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

i took my stock raptor to a 686 with all the bolt on's, pipes jets, k&n all of it including porting for under 1100.00 you can build it your self, and the machine work is easy. the only hard part is finding someone to port your head for a good price, just shop around for all your parts and you can find really good deals, talk to Patsraptor he does good porting, you will hear alot of sh$t about him but mine works extremly well, maddog is right you dont need to go "namebrand" to get good work, you can do most of it yourself!!

Old 07-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

I made my suggestion with the thinking he didn't want to attempt the work himself since he mentioned he is taking it to the Stealership!

Have them put on the pipe and, jet it and, while they have it take the head off, send it out to (your Choice) performance shop for porting and, put it back together and, adjust the valves for him! Easy, Safe and, they are responsible!

Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

you are a better man, I bow in awe of your might
At least we agree on one thing.

Let's get something else cleared up, YOU started this baddog. Yamaha660R tried to offer sound advice to Newquadman and you jumped in telling him not to go to a reputable Raptor builder. You didn't give him another name, just a general vector to find a local shop. The guy wants to take his Raptor to the stealership, I doubt he knows enough (yet, no slam) to weed out a hack from a good head porter. I have used Craycraft with good results twice now, I think it's entirely appropriate to say that Craycraft is "my choice" for head porting. YOU then elevated things by making an incorrect, negative comment about Craycraft's "history". I have no problem with Kenz, everything I read indicates they are a quality outfit. Had you recommended Kenz, your advice would also be sound. My money shoudn't matter since I spent more, and waited longer, than necessary to achieve the same results.

Do you even own a Raptor? Does it have "bored out" stock carbs? Does it have JB Weld holding the head together? Let's try to get this back on topic, what's your list for a $1500 Raptor build?

Old 07-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
you are a better man, I bow in awe of your might
At least we agree on one thing.

Let's get something else cleared up, YOU started this baddog. Yamaha660R tried to offer sound advice to Newquadman and you jumped in telling him not to go to a reputable Raptor builder. You didn't give him another name, just a general vector to find a local shop. The guy wants to take his Raptor to the stealership, I doubt he knows enough (yet, no slam) to weed out a hack from a good head porter. I have used Craycraft with good results twice now, I think it's entirely appropriate to say that Craycraft is "my choice" for head porting. YOU then elevated things by making an incorrect, negative comment about Craycraft's "history". I have no problem with Kenz, everything I read indicates they are a quality outfit. Had you recommended Kenz, your advice would also be sound. My money shoudn't matter since I spent more, and waited longer, than necessary to achieve the same results.

Do you even own a Raptor? Does it have "bored out" stock carbs? Does it have JB Weld holding the head together? Let's try to get this back on topic, what's your list for a $1500 Raptor build?
I did not tell newquadman NOT to go to a reputible quad builder. I simply stated that it was not his only option. If you actually read my post you will see that I was offering him an alternative which may be cheaper depending on his situation, and that if it was going to be an issue, then it wasnt necessary to go local.

I am glad that you have good experiences with craycraft, I cant remember someone off hand that has complained about anything but problems with rods and JE pistons. I have never said anything negative about bob or any of the other shops. I simply stated that he and his group did not get into atvs until a few years ago. That is a true statement from what I understand and in no way is it negative.

Yes I own a raptor. No, the carbs are stock. There is no jb weld anywhere on my bike. And if you would have read the thread you would have seen my suggestions to him about what to put into the bike for 1500. I did not attack yamaha660R or craycraft in anyway, I simply said that there are other ways to go, not necessarily better, but different.

I simply stated to you that I resented you calling my advice bad. I held a great respect for you and the mx work you have done with your raptor, thats why I referred others looking to get into mx with a raptor to you. Your comments to me have been unnecessarily rude and personal and I have no wish to further that portion of the discussion any further with you.

Warwgn, thank you for your support.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

And about the fcr's...

They are an excellent upgrade, but at the current condition his bike is in, spending almost two thirds of his budget just on carbs, would not give him the optimal hp/dollar ratio. I'm just trying to get the most of the money he has slated for the project and I dont think that the carbs are the best thing to put on at this point in the build.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

The guy wants to take his Raptor to the stealership, I doubt he knows enough (yet, no slam) to weed out a hack from a good head porter.[/quote]

LMAO!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-bLuRRRR27-

Quick Reply: Need help on Raptor modifications