Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Question for techs about Raptor?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for techs about Raptor?????

Originally posted by: sparkster
As far as jetting is concerned, I to wonder if mine is jetted properly because i have nothing to compare it to and I bought it already done. Whats the best way to find out what I should have it jetted at. Also can you expand a little more on this change of linkage you were talking about voodoo. I have troubles keeping the front end down and would like to find a way to make it less tippy.
As far as the tippy part of it u can get wheel extensions from Sand-Sports.com for about $380. Haven't heard alot of reviews about them though so dont know how god they are

Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for techs about Raptor?????

I think you guys are overestimating the power of the Raptor. The dynos you are using must be very friendly! When the DW Raptor pipe shootout came out everyone cried foul about how high the numbers were and that no one was seeing those numbers in real life. Real life -
Stock Raptor ~ 34hp
Pipe/Filter/Jetted Raptor ~ 42-44hp
My Raptor last year with the following bolt ons: Yosh full pipe, Edelbrock carb, Alum. airbox, Uni filter, no lid, Dyna FS ignition, running ultralight drag slicks ~46hp and I could run pretty close with a Trinity 686. (See my bio page)

I am sure some dynos would make higher numbers, and this one is known as being somewhat stingy, but 45-50 for a piped raptor - no way. Especially not one with the head ported by some local dealer!

It sounds like this is a second hand quad. My suggestion is this - take the head off. Find out what type of cam is in there. Whether there are oversized valves in there. Take pictures of the ports and the combustion chamber and post them on here and we will be able to tell you if it looks like it has been ported or just polished up with some steel wool. Good luck!

RR1