Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Major Raptor Motor Probs-

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Raptor Motor Probs-

I bought a used 02 LE Raptor from a local dealership about 2 months ago. All ran fast and fine until about 2 weeks ago and it just randomly stopped starting. I rode it fine the same morning but that afternoon it just stopped. Pulled plugs and changed it out, and still nothing. I took it to a friend who races 450s and we took it apart and the carb wasnt hooked up to the dual rubber boots that lead to the motor. So we fixed it temporarily, it still ran funny. So I took it to my local dealer and they put the carb back in and new clamps to keep it tight. I got it home and it was still running funny. Today I goto start it and it kept dieing. I choked it and it started but was idling way high so I took the choke off and it ran for about 5 seconds than died. I am getting really pissed off at this point. I paid 4 grand for something that wont run. Its got a Yoshi slip on, drilled lid, and thats it. ( im guessing jets, but previous owner put stuff on so I dont know). Can you guys please help me find out whats wrong with my baby???!!? Thanks alot, Branden

Old 07-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check those same carb boots for tears and cracks. New clamps you say? I'd look for cuts in those carb boots. If it's sucking in air it will act like you say.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your float vavles are stuck...Take your carb apart(it's pretty easy) and check the little valves that go up and down to control your floats...you might find a bunch of white gunk on them....I cleaned mine with a smooth nail file, lubed em up with some light oil and it runs fine now....hope that might help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I picked it up from the dealership I asked if they noticed any potential probs, or anything out of the norm and they said no. So unless they overlooked it, I dont know. I am to the point where I want to fix it and sell the SOB. Buy a 450r or Z400. I dont know, I really like my rappy, I just want it to be rideable everyday and not have these hassles.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, once it does run, it backfires quite a bit. Dont know if this helps, but yea...

Old 07-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

The float valve problem is hard to find and not easily seen buy some guy who gets paid by the hour...it took me an hour to figure it out....It may not be the problem but it's an easy fix if it is.and free.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Trying to fix things that aren't working can always be a pain. You'll have to pull and tug on the rubber of the boots to see any cracks or tears. I'd clean the carbs real good also.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Mine backfired also

Old 07-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

For $20 on ebay you can purchase a Clymer manual for your raptor. I am a mechanic anyway so playing and pulling stuff apart comes natural, however if you are not these books are great, incredibly detailed and have a whole section on troubleshooting no starts etc. Ypour problem do9es sound fuel related and misfires especially on deceleration usually indicate lack of fuel (wrong jets, float valves stuck, etc) although you could have ignition module problems too.

As a free plug, kinda... Wyomingben.com was the seller on ebay when I bought my manual and he had it to me in four days without high shipping costs. A book is nice to help you though this kind of crap.