Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Im leaving for a month!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im leaving for a month!!!!

Hey guys im leaving the states for a month.. i was wondering what i should do to my rappy when i leave. it will be in my garage so i was wondering if i should turn the gas off and let it run so all gas gets out of the carb? if i do this and let it sit is it good for the quad?

any other suggestions?

Old 07-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

a mounth thats it i wouldnt even worry about it well just turn the gas off and that should be good

Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

should i run it with the gas off to get it out of the carbs?

Old 07-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

yes that will help

Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
Hey guys im leaving the states for a month.. i was wondering what i should do to my rappy when i leave. it will be in my garage so i was wondering if i should turn the gas off and let it run so all gas gets out of the carb? if i do this and let it sit is it good for the quad?

any other suggestions?

where you going? Im going to Monterrey, N.L Mexico next monday and will be unreachable for like 3 weeks! Cant wait to go! Have fun and be safe.

BTW, I'll be driving down there, love long road trips to Mexico (third time going to MTY).

Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Trailblazer

This is what i do when i am going to be gone for more than two weeks at a time.

I air the tires up to about 8 to 10lbs so that the tires wont go flat if they have a slow leak and sit on the sidewall with the wheel.
I shut off the fuel and run the engine for a few seconds before cutting it off,
I then take a screwdriver and open the float bowl drains and let all the fuel run out of the carbs,
Then i try to start the bike one more time to get that last bit of fuel out of them.
Lube the chain good so it wont rust and spray a little WD-40 on any exposed steel, (such as where my boots rub the frame)
Before i broke it, i used to plug my bikes into a trickle charger that keep a full charge on the battery at all times.

Other than that not much to do, I just dont like cleaning the carbs on my rappy so i drain them when ever they are going to sit for any period of time.

Hope this helps
Tyson

Old 07-12-2004, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Good lord. I would save that much work for anything over about 2 months, but 2 weeks? Not to say its not a bad idea, its just a little more work than I would do for that short of a time.

I usually just turn off the gas and run it dry, good e'nuff.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:16 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: BansheeRacer101
a mounth thats it i wouldnt even worry about it well just turn the gas off and that should be good
yep

Old 07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Fast5Ty
This is what i do when i am going to be gone for more than two weeks at a time.

I air the tires up to about 8 to 10lbs so that the tires wont go flat if they have a slow leak and sit on the sidewall with the wheel.
I then take a screwdriver and open the float bowl drains and let all the fuel run out of the carbs,
Then i try to start the bike one more time to get that last bit of fuel out of them.
Lube the chain good so it wont rust and spray a little WD-40 on any exposed steel, (such as where my boots rub the frame)
Before i broke it, i used to plug my bikes into a trickle charger that keep a full charge on the battery at all times.

Other than that not much to do, I just dont like cleaning the carbs on my rappy so i drain them when ever they are going to sit for any period of time.

Hope this helps
Tyson
that is all i do and i let it sit in my garage longet than 2 weeks man thats nuts you must keep that quad in nice shape

Old 07-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Trailblazer

That all seems like a lot of work, but it only takes about a minute. I got in the habit when i had alcohol carbs on my crotch rocket, the alcohol would evaporate and leave a chalky residue inside the carbs.

Besides if i dont drain the carbs when i stand it up to wash it, the gas runs back through the filter and i end up with gas and K&N Filter oil in the little plastic drain hole thingy.

Quick Reply: Im leaving for a month!!!!