Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

synthetic oil ... pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil ... pros and cons

i'm thinking that running pure synthetic oil may extend engine life. i ride a 01 big bear and it doesnt have that many hours on it anyway. do you guys use synthethics? if so, what brand? i'm looking at running mobil 1. what kind of things can i expect if i do this? anyone have any info?

thanks

Old 07-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

don't do it, your valves won't seat properly. Valves need carbon deposit. just my two cents. also synthetics cause clutches to slip

04 raptor

Old 07-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer

That advice is worth about 2 cents. I have used synthetic oil in all my machines and have had no clutch slipping. Who needs carbon under their valves? Also, why would Amsoil, the leader in synthetic oils, support all sorts of off road racing. Would they want the competitors" clutches to slip?

Old 07-16-2004, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

yes you do need carbon to properly seat your valves. you think they just seat by them selves over night

Old 07-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

carbon heat and friction is the key to seating valves properly, maybe after the bake in period you can use synthetics, but my experience with them is not good. and i would never recommend synthetic oil for atv's,, just my 2 cents

Old 07-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

okay i did a little research. check out www.bestsynthetic oil.com Ron Krol of amsoil admits he switches to synthetics after he uses petroleum based oils, and he notices a difference. hum i wonder why he starts out with {petroleum based oils} could it be for properly seating the valves,,hum i don; t know,,,,,,,any way your decision you decide,,,,,,,he also rebuilds his stuff after every race like all good racers??????? if your going to race go for it,,, but if not my advice is probably pretty decent,,,,just my two cents

Old 07-16-2004, 05:45 AM
Quad Patrol

I use motor oil in my engines. Changed the transmission fluid in the wife's 400l Polaris. Book call for type III fluid. Couldn't find it. So, went to Polaris dealer, they said to use synthetic fluid for the transmission. That's what is in it and no problems[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just some more food for thought

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

How many hours/miles are on your atv ?? They use regular dino oil for the break in period so the journals on the crank and cam can polish themselves. I don't know about the carbon on the valves thing because an engine is broke in in 20-30 hours and if carbon is building up that fast you have something wrong. They don't use synthetics for the break in period because they are to slippery and don't polish the surfaces. If you use synthetic in it you cannot use automotive oil because there are friction modifiers in it that can cause your clutches to slip. They make synthetic for 4 strole atv's and it is right on the label that it is safe for wet clutches and contains no friction modifiers. If your rings and valves aren't seated and the journals polished in the first 20 hours of running it they will never seat anyways. I have Amsoil in my Grizzly and it works fine.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

The break-in on organic oils is to facilitate the seating of the rings. It's not to carbon up the valves. If you needed carbon on your valves, how would you start a brand new engine? You would have no compression. Valves seat against the valve seats metal to metal. The valves and seats are ground to a concentric seating pattern when the head is built. I have been personalyy advised by Amsoil engineers to run my rebuilt engine initially with Amsoil. He said not to wait. On my Wolverine, i changed to Amsoil after the first ride with no ill effects.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

my '01 big bear has less that 100 hours on it and i babysit it. im just trying to do whatever i can to extend the live of my scooter.

does amsoil make the synthetic for 4 stroke ATV's? that sounds like just what im looking for.

did you say that once you go synthetic you cant go back to petroleum based oil?

Quick Reply: synthetic oil ... pros and cons