Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Turbo raptor questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004 | 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Turbo raptor questions?

Originally posted by: Kenzcycle
Super Chargers ????

The only supercharged cars that are competitive have centrifucal superchargers. Which are basically belt-driven turbochargers. And even those seem to get beaten down by the turbo cars most of the time.

Old 07-17-2004 | 08:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
It seems that alot of negative talk has been sourounding the turbo powerd bikes. As the saying goes (Rome wasnt built in a day.) Maybe these bikes will come around, they wont replace the carbed bikes but they for sure will make a new meaning to the word Fast Four Stroke... Just My Opinion.

The negative talk is from the ignorant. If turbo's weren't the most effective power-adder at this time. Then they wouldn't be so dominant in the classes that they are allowed to compete in.
This is a Yamaha page and he asked mainly about turbo'ed raptors. The ones I've heard and read about haven't been all that successful. I'm not trying to be negative at all, but so far they don't have the best track record in a raptor. I don't doubt that they will become better as bugs and weak points are figured out.

Old 07-17-2004 | 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Kenzcycle Are you looking for a Supercharger . Maybe these guy could set ya up .www.hscsupercharger.com

Old 07-17-2004 | 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Super Chargers ????

The only supercharged cars that are competitive have centrifucal superchargers. Which are basically belt-driven turbochargers. And even those seem to get beaten down by the turbo cars most of the time.
you forgot about top fuel i have never seen a turbo nor a centrifucal on one!! and as for the turbo bikes not lasting you can put all the best parts and the best builder put it together as soon as it leaves the shop the builder cant control what the bike is going to be riding in or how the owner is going to ride it....

Old 07-17-2004 | 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 727raptor01
Super Chargers ????

as soon as it leaves the shop the builder cant control what the bike is going to be riding in or how the owner is going to ride it....
true...

Old 07-18-2004 | 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

Superchargers take HP to run them, a 500hp car can lose 60HP running the supercharger. Turbos are much more efficient, they use exhaust gas velocity to run them.

A manual transmission with a turbo will drop boost on the upshifts, whereas an CVT tranny will hold the boost the entire time under WOT.

A little pricey for me though..

Old 07-18-2004 | 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

A turbo cant even compare with a Screw type Supercharger In drag racing Not even a roots style . Sorry bud I love turbos they have there place but for out and and out H.P. Supercharging is dominatant .
Want to read up on Superchargers ? here some good info Read up Superchargers

Old 07-18-2004 | 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Kenzcyle..coming straight out if Kelly at KMS's mouth were "were are hitting 180h.p with the Kenz 727 raptor running turbo and nos. Why do you call kelley up yourself monday and get your story straight.

Old 07-18-2004 | 05:02 AM
Pro Rider

SuperCharged Raptors sound mean but don't make alot of HP. Robertson has did that already. I'm not sayin someone else can't do it. But he's built about 15 Supercharged Motorcycles and the Raptor made good HP but not enough to justify the 3500.00 supercharger.

A 180 hp? ins't that more than a 4 cylinder R1. Or a stock Hyabusa? If there is a 180 hp Raptor my hat is off to KMS.

Old 07-18-2004 | 09:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Maybe we all just need to step back and mellow out this is 14's way of building his tiny earned ego !!! he starts out with what seems like a HONEST EASY QUESTION THEN PROCEEDS TO TWIST TO MAKE ANOTHER BUILDER LOOK BAD.That just 14 let it go. He dose this to all the builders !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo raptor questions?