Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

High Octain question.............plus oil question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Octain question.............plus oil question

Ok so I just stick with the 93 pump oct. and use the 20W40 Yamalube 4 for the bottom end? Correct?

Old 08-03-2004, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyvegas
440EX026, Amsoil has nothing to do with Amway and never did! Amsoil was founded by A.J. Amatuzio and they've been in buisness for over 30 years making in my opinion the best synthetic oils on the market today. You use your oil and I'll use Amsoil.
Amsoil

LOL I know about them and was being "funny" about how they bring their product to market thru making everyone who buys it open to become a dealer etc. I actually have a friend that sells it (yes he is another basically inactive distributor who got into it for all the wrong reasons) and now that he is a competitor its kind of funny how the "oil conversations" go.

He does have a few people under him that he set up so it does produce some $$ for him, and thats the part just like amway isnt it.

In time I think you may reconsider your opinion on who makes the best synthetic oils and like many users of these products will see that there are similar and better products that are offered at more attractive prices that arent sold by everyone in the neighborhood and delivered from the back of someones garage. Heck the one I am talking about has a no risk guarantee and even covers the user for any failures due to the oil etc. and you wont see that too often will you.

Its just that so often and especially in this whole motor sports arena people are brain washed with name brands and lots of total BS from every direction. Sometimes its nothing more than creative marketing, other times things are so blown out of proportion and misread (like all the bs for not using auto oil due to additives that dont even exist in most all synthetics and very very few std oils) just to scare or intimadate the consumer or rider into buying a certain product at a much higher price and profit.

Just ask any of us who have run mobil1 in our quads about how many people said not to do it and that it would mess up the engine and make the clutch slip, and then count how many have had problems. Its not a whole lot of $$$ savings over the 3-4 times the price stuff from the dealers but its better put into other mods than tossed down a hole isnt it.

Now we have to ask ourselves just what is a synthetic oil and who makes it. This is where it gets really intersting since most all synthetics are a combination of different chemicals and except for the really deceptive makers includes no petroleum oil at all (sorry but since the us govt doesnt regulate what is called full synthetic or a blend etc there is nothing stopping some from selling petroluem based oil with a additive and not labling it "blended" etc) and is made by large companies like mobil and small ones as well.

The big difference is what products are used to create the end product. Just like everything else there are always the better more expensive products and the less expensive ones also, and most all of the major oil companies also have divisions that are chemical companies and are locked into buying these products to make up their synthetic oils and therefore dont have access to including the many other products avail to include in the finished product. That is important because since this stuff is a make up of chemicals (additives etc) adding some or eliminating others will greatly effect how it performs.

So a smaller synthetic oils company actually has more opportunity to create a better product from not having its hands tied to its corporate relations and can custom design or talior a product for a specific use. An example is how this company includes a special micro fine "moly" in their oils (one of many special features) which not only creates a superior lubrication between moving parts, completely eliminates initial friction at start up, but also is able to fill many tiny scratches that were created while using another lube etc.

Another thing that I find interesting is that oils or lube products in general are such a small amount of the business that the major oil or "gasoline" companies do (some less than 1%) they deff dont give it the attention it deserves. There seems to be a certain amount of suprize when someone hears that the lube they are using currently was basically nothing more than a byproduct of the oil refining process to create gasoline and the what they are using was pretty much scrapped from the "bottom of the barrell".

So maybe its not only the product ( I would take amsoil over any std petroluem based oil any day, but have prob found the last oil I will use now ) but the whole experience that my opinion is based on etc and there are just so many options avail on lubrication today that will allow everything from useable life of 3-10x that of std oils, eliminating leakage, quieting down noisey gears and bearings, eliminate contamination, water proof, lower flow temps (no seized engines while still running a suitable viscosity), reduced or eliminated breakdown from heat, and the list goes on and on BUT these are not characteristics of every synthetic oil so be carefull. I had recently had the chance to see how my old synthetic so poorly performed with a mix of water and antifreeze in an auto application that had a gasket problem. IT wasnt pretty at all, and appeared that while the amount of water increased the oil actually absorbed it to the point it wasnt able to properly lube at all. I know from testing this will not be the case with the new stuff.

Sorry if that got a little "deep" for some of you and I know it was a little long but I hope it helps some in making decisions and maybe even clears things up a bit that though you may not need to throw away what your using now, but you dont have to be limited in your options either.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MOPARD
Ok so I just stick with the 93 pump oct. and use the 20W40 Yamalube 4 for the bottom end? Correct?
Should be safe with that and reg oil and filter changes. If you want to step it up to synthetic thats avail to you also so its your choice.