Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wheres all the banshee veterans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2000 | 01:58 AM
|
Pro Rider

I just got a 96 banshee (red/yellow) dg pipe, goldchain, racingrims, exc.. that somebody had a realllyyyy good time on.. basically somebody beat it hard. Kind of amazed me that somebody would let such a nice machine go to hell? To start off I got it, drove about a mile down the road and siezed the motor. :-( it just got loud, sounded just like the pipe fell off, so I got off checked it out, looked fine so I got back on, started it up, stalled again, then I tried to start it again and it was siezed. Ive had REALLY bad luck with wheelers in the last couple months. So after I broke it I talked to the guy to find out any mod's whatsoever, he said that it has a 78 skandic 500? coil?? uhh... he diddnt know anything about the carbs, the pipes are "jerry rigged" its missing all kinds of little nuts and bolts, somebody busted BOTH of the top a-arms right where they connect to the wheel, about 10 welding rods worth on each, somebody dumped it hard. The back plastic is cracked all up, and the pull bar on the back is busted. I guess that it had new(er) piston's/ring's wiseco, or so he said. Do they usually have alot of compression? or hard to kick over? This was like kicking air, I had to jump start it to get it going. Think I just got screwed on the whole deal? Id like to fix it up really nice but Ive been checking the parts out and they are really expensive. Anybody have any advice?? Is it easy to rebuild a banshee? What should I do, I want the fattest ride in town.. PS. That one mile was F^ck1ing CRAZY.. BANSHEES RULE, for anybody that wants a fast wheeler, buy a banshee, Ive never ridden anything like it. buddie has a 98 lakota and 00 trailblazer and the banshee would smoke them hard in second or third. After my first ride I now see why some people want them banned. :-) I love it, Ive got the fever, got to get it running.. lets hear some stories.. if anybody has a newer pair of upper A-arms cheap email me.

Old 08-14-2000 | 02:08 AM
Range Rover

I have a question...did you check it out before you bought it? Why did you buy it? Kinda sounds like you did it to your self. You have to be carefull when buying used; really carefull.
On another note. I just bought my first quad, a 96 banshee also. white and red, with the sticker off. It's an awesome quad. I love it too.

Later

Jason

Old 08-14-2000 | 02:16 AM
|
Pro Rider

I checked it out a little first, basically I diddnt care what cond it was in. Started off with a 00xr 100r sold it (too little) then got some cash had, $2,500 two months ago, bought a 93 polaris 350l, piece of junk, was in the shop for month, cooked ring, got it back, antifreeze squirting out the head so I traded it for what I thought was a fat 4x4 truck, lift, rims, exc.. custom paint, really really sharp, broke the tranny. I diddnt feel like dumping money into that, so I traded it for the banshee, and now thats broken. I knew that it was beat on but I sure as heck diddnt think the motor would sieze that quick. It seemed like it was running fine once you got it started? It needs a little love but one day (hopefully soon) she'll be a bad a$$ machine..... I got it in mind of fixing it up. Diddnt know the parts were that expensive though.

Old 08-14-2000 | 01:55 PM
Range Rover

hey guy!
send me an e-mail of what you need and i will check my stash. if i have anything that will help you i will send you pics and give you a good price on it!
later

Old 08-14-2000 | 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

They are a great ride.

Old 08-14-2000 | 04:04 PM
|
Pro Rider

the polaris was nice, orig.tires,exc.. still basically new. but everytime I went into the woods on it Id walk out. My friend has the polaris now, runs good, but my banshee broken is still nicer than the old 350L 2 stroke snowmobile4-wheeler. Im referring to older polaris atv's. :-)

Old 08-14-2000 | 11:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

A-arms (top only), plastic, bumper, back pull bar or six pack rack, stock carbs, one of the metal cage thingie that goes on the piece that connects the pipe to the muffler(hard to explain) one headlight,lol, more stuff that I cannot recall, a bunch of bolts, chrome and cool pieces, and a new motor but besides that its good to go ;-) Also are warrior parts compatable with banshees? (aarms)? Id like to talk to somebody about fixing this thing up right. shiny and chrome, dependable. I need to get this thing running asap. How is riding in the winter, is it hard on the motor?

Old 08-14-2000 | 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I know how you feel about junk ATVs

I haven't had a good one yet!!

Old 08-14-2000 | 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

the one and only positive thing about getting a trashed bashee is that you learn alot about them in a short time. The first shee that I got was a 87' that had been raced hard. It needed a lot of work, all the bushings were shot...a few cracks in the frame and swingarm.. and so on. By the time I fixed everything I knew a whole lot more than when I started..... over all a good but expensive experience.

(the silver lining to the cloud???)

Old 08-14-2000 | 11:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

I just started the first part of my mission... bought the book. figured I should buy the book before I buy the parts. Also I just got the wiseco catalog in the mail today, (may sound stupid but) what is a sleeve? The plan is to rebuild the motor, if it blows, send it away and have it professionally rebuild, then if it blows again I am going to put a 4 stroke 700+ motor, rice burner, what do you think would fit? Id like a newer motor, something nice, I talked to a guy and he said as long as it fits in the frame you can rig it, but Id rather not weld it into the frame..

Quick Reply: wheres all the banshee veterans?