Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee jetting question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee jetting question

Hey guys, im going to be taking off the carbs on my banshee and try to get everything set right. I bought it a couple months ago and have only gotten to ride it a few times, anyhow, when I rode it the bike ran VERY rich, if you took it easy on the bike it would load up and bog down in power. As long as you stayed on the pipe everything was cool, but one minute in the woods and the plugs were fouled. If you switched the plugs, runs super. Anyhow, obviously there's a jetting problem here. The bike has fmf pipes, k&n filter, and 260 main jets. Run it at 40:1. The elevation of the area here is around 800 feet above sea level. Can anyone be able to help on the right size jet? For you other banshee owners, i know that there's a lot of you out there that say you never foul a plug, now is this because you run the hell out of it, or is it true that setting everything on the carbs will take care of that? Anxious to go riding with it!

thanks for any help

Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

I think what your describing is a banshee. They will load up at crawling speeds. That is why you read that most people do not like them in the woods. You have to use the clutch alot and keep it in or around the powerband to keep the plugs clean. Try switching to a synthetic premix at about 32:1 mix.

Also check what size pilots you are running. The stock 25's are not big enough for most fmf pipe applications. I would go to 30's.

If your going to be running it slow...at least stop every once in a while and give it a bunch of good revs..it should be fine.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I'm at 1,100 ft at around 75 degress. I have fattys and a K&N and I'm at 320's. 260 seems pretty lean. I also run at 32:1 so that makes up some of the difference, about a size. I run only trails and have never fouled either, at least not in a year since I bought it. I have rode many times on state trails on very busy days. I have been behind groups of family's on polaris's MANY times for miles going about 10 mph if that. And still doesn't foul. I let it idle on warm up for 10min and never stalls or loads up. It's all in the jetting.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

~2004...remember though..yours is not stock. You have a couple of goodies that are helping it along. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

There is a bit of difference with just pipes and a filter.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

Yeah im definetely not able to go 10mph with this bike, it wants to move. Im a 4 stroke guy used to riding them, i have a raptor and 400ex other than this banshee, but it just doesnt seem right that it wants to foul out like that. I live about an hour west of pittsburgh, so the weather changes here quite a bit, but i havent rode it in different seasons yet, just got it a few months ago. I was definetely staying on top of that bike but it seems if you're not ***** out, the performance drops on it. The top end has about 10 hours on it, .20 over, the compression is fine with it. Im just thinking its a jetting. You say you have 320's, im not all that familiar with jetting yet, a buddy is going to help me with it next week, but im wondering what i should be putting that jetting to.

Here's another one for you. When i start up the bike, if i let it sit and idle, the plug is on its way to fouling. If i pull it out of the garage, fire it up, and rev it, then take off, all is well. So there definetely has to be something wrong with the carbs/jetting here. As i said im not familiar with this stuff yet but i will definetely get into it, just need some advice. thanks guys!

Old 07-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I ran the same main jets with a pipe and filter. Maybe try a smaller front sproket. I Live in Youngstown OHIO same weather.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

IF your plug fouls at idle then your pilot or air screws are off. I run stock piolts and airscrews 2& 1/2 turn out. Needle on 4th notch.

To test the main jet do a plug chop

1. warm up the bike
2. PUt in new plugs
3. start up bike Wide open throttle through 6th for about 15 sec.
4. Turn bike off at WOT
5. Pull plugs and cut off the threads
6. Look at the base of the ceramic for a brown ring
White is lean black is rich.

Dont let anyone tell you different that is the only way to be dead on accurate unless you use a dyno.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

Wow talk about close! You live no more than 20 minutes from here so I should seriously consider switching up the jets. Im going to check it out in a couple days here and hopefully get it sorted out. The bike doesnt foul out at idle, but if you let it sit there for a few minutes and then take off the performance isnt as strong, not as snappy, so its just going to take some tinkering around on it i guess. It's my first banshee, so gotta work out the bugs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]