Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

--Step 1: Install Pipe, filter & jets--Step 2: Shear all the teeth off front sprocket with newfound power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default --Step 1: Install Pipe, filter & jets--Step 2: Shear all the teeth off front sprocket with newfound power!

All manufactures use cheap front and rear sprokets on the quads, dirt bikes, etc. Thats how they make money off of us, by going back for more parts to fix it.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default --Step 1: Install Pipe, filter & jets--Step 2: Shear all the teeth off front sprocket with newfound power!

The stock sprockets are cheap and weak, but unless you had a bad one, you shouldnt have had a problem with an extra few ponies.

Regardless, its still a good story to tell your buddies who ride other quads.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I am just stoked up about my new mods and all.....I know others with Raptors that have eaten up chains and sprockets just stock. The breaking of the sprocket didn't bother me that much I was just excited about the extra power my quad was making. Wether the sprocket would have let go without the mods or not - probably, i don't know. It just seemed to happen like step1, step2 for me so that is how I titled it. I thought it would get someone's attention to key me in on a good brand sprocket set, not be pissed on. Since sprockets/chain are important and you wouldn't want one to let go at full speed I was hoping to get a few recommendations from those out there that had good luck with a particular brand.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Renthal makes good sprockets. I used them on older quads back in the 80's and on my bikes and never had a problem. I have them on my raptor now.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

the same thing happened to my r when i took the air-box lid off !just kidding. i have a countershaft in my basement with no more than 13 little nubs going around it.like was said above ,it was time for new anyway. i personally do not like aluminum sprockets on a quad. yes,they are lighter...but im looking for true durability. i get about 2 seasons out of a steel set.not bad for the beating this relic dishes out. hope this helped

Old 07-29-2004, 05:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

sounds to me like you should have done some chain and sprocket maintenance while you were at it.

either that or you are just telling a tale

I call

Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

tale or not lol......it shouldnt be much of a question for u.....GO GET A SIDEWINDER KIT!!!

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 07-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Go with Talon for the sprockets and DID ATV X-ring for the chain.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

One of the greatest, and least known, sprockets is the IronMan sprocket by Dirt Tricks.

These are well known in the bike world but not too many in the ATV world know about them, it seems.

They are chromoly steel and only weigh 4 ounces more than an aluminum sprocket.

They have a 1 year wear guarantee as well. If you wear them out within a year, they will send you new ones, no questions asked.

Don't get an aluminum sprocket for your Raptor. It will chew through it in no time.

http://www.dirttricks.com/ironman_quad.htm

Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

This time around on my chain/sprockets purchase (due to a swingarm extension), I bought the cheapest setup RMATV had and it's lasted longer than the stock setup did and it's lasted as long as my Regina-JK setup did. The sideplate thickness on all three chains were the same and they were all o-ring chains. I also measure stretch using digital calipers. I also flip my sprockets around when they start to show wear and run them on the other side of the teeth for a while. I assume everyone would do that. I also replace my front sprocket twice as often as the back. One more note, I didn't see any more life out of a Renthal than I did a JK. Do what you want with your money, but cheap has been working for me.

Quick Reply: --Step 1: Install Pipe, filter & jets--Step 2: Shear all the teeth off front sprocket with newfound power!