Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

TRX450R or YFZ450?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX450R or YFZ450?

I haven't ridden the TRX yet... really looking forward to it... The first one I saw of the sales floor was the other day. (not too many people have em around here.) I tried to get the guy to ride my yfz so he'd let me take his for a spin... but he didn't really wanna ride the yfz....

Dry weight is the exact same....

Honda holds 3.2 Gal, which is .8 more gallons than the yfz... so If you plan on going on long trail rides... you might consider the 4gal tank that you can get for the yfz.

However, the electric start on the yfz helps out a lot w/ the more technical rides.... I think the TRX is a lil more front heavy as well... but not by much...

Old 07-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

From what I've heard, and the guys I've talked to that run XC the Honda is the better "stock" package for woods riding/racing. What kills the honda for the racers is the kick start. I don't care how fast you are with your leg your not gonna be as fast as a push button. If I'd had the cash I'd have picked honda hands down. Honestly, just try them both. Make your own decision. Honda guys will be biased as will Yamaha guys....

Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

This is such B.S. I went to all the dealers around SO CAL and they will throw you out if you don't have 7200-7500 cash! What the hell.. how can you get them that cheap! ARGH!!!!

Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondaracer305
BTW, the yfz isnt faster, ive seen dynos.

Really? So, how fast were the dynos getting around the track? LMAO!

Dynos are great for tuning, but we're not racing dynos here.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Trinity try Rock River Powersports in Wisconsin, Bought mine there for $6200 out the door, they do internet business so there is no sales tax. Try Forward Air for the shipping $250. To your door for under $6500, can't beat that. They advertise on ebay..Good luck.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hebs
I haven't ridden the TRX yet... really looking forward to it... The first one I saw of the sales floor was the other day. (not too many people have em around here.) I tried to get the guy to ride my yfz so he'd let me take his for a spin... but he didn't really wanna ride the yfz....

Honda holds 3.2 Gal, which is .8 more gallons than the yfz... so If you plan on going on long trail rides... you might consider the 4gal tank that you can get for the yfz.

However, the electric start on the yfz helps out a lot w/ the more technical rides.... I think the TRX is a lil more front heavy as well... but not by much...

I thought everyone was complaining about the trx wheelieing, and being too light in the front?

Hondaracer, do you know how much horses that hrc kit adds? BTW those are some nectar pics on your equasion site!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine has a 450r and we go riding all the time. And WITHOUT being biased i can honestly tell you that the YFZ has a better motor/suspension package. The yfz has a dual-rate like suspension wile the honda has a single rate shocks and i found that you felt the ruts and smalls bumped more on the honda. both are sweet in the air and honda doesnt seem nose light/heavy neighter does the YFZ. The TRX wheelies much easier and the YFZ likes to stay planted. The YFZ motor pulled harder and longer i felt and i was able to beat him up the bigger hills where he would have to downshift and i wouldnt (remember this is when my quad was stock). The tires are better on the TRX for trails but the YFZ tires are better for sand or MX.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: White347LX
Originally posted by: hondaracer305
BTW, the yfz isnt faster, ive seen dynos.

Really? So, how fast were the dynos getting around the track? LMAO!

Dynos are great for tuning, but we're not racing dynos here.
why are you bringing up top speed and a race track in the same sentance. i was talking top speed as in DRAG RACE, how hard is that to understand? i dont know if you were kidding or what but im not in the mood right now for much anything (i got 4 hours of sleep last night and just got off work).. If you want to talk about racing, i guess the yfz is slower cause i passed a few in the last couple races i was in, but thats not really fair since im a better rider. thats the point, riders get quads around mx tracks, not quads themselves...

Old 07-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: radfastdude7777777
Originally posted by: Hebs

I thought everyone was complaining about the trx wheelieing, and being too light in the front?

Hondaracer, do you know how much horses that hrc kit adds? BTW those are some nectar pics on your equasion site!
The kit added about 6 horsepower from what ive heard. honda claims 10, but its around 6. it is noticable though. third gear cleared that 90 foot tabletop so its proven to be a nice package [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

About the whole yfz vs trx battle. I made my decision i thought the yfz was a better bike and i still think it is. Who cares about stock vs stock. How long does the average person keep it stock? I had mine home and within a hour i was already doing the cam mod. When modded they are both monsters and it comes down to whose the better rider or who's the luckiest.

Quick Reply: TRX450R or YFZ450?