Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Starter has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Starter has me stumped

I've read a thousand posts on starters already and just don't seem to figure this one out.
My wifes Warrior starter makes some funky noises when you start up. So I started by taking the starter off and checking brushes and bearings. I did drop the Brush holder end when I took the 2 bolts out. Anyway, I put it back together and tested it on my battery charger/jump starter to listen to it. It sounded ok so I put it back in, hooked the one wire back up and pressed the start button. It just spun without turning over the engine. I pulled it out and in checking which way it should turn to turn the engine over, found that it now is turning backward. But.... when I hook it to the charger it turns the right way. Now, in checking polarity of the battery as opposed to the charger they are the same. I'm no stranger to electricity so I have a pretty good understanding of it. This does not make sense to me. What are some possible fixes? I can't see any way to flip the brush holders to change the orientation of the + and - brushes.
Anyone???

Old 11-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

i seem to be having an issue close to thsi also on a friedns warrior.

it sounds as if the starter if spinning, but the piston does not. we dont get a spark, so i am pretty sure the engine is not turning.

did you get the starter new (OEM) or one online. I know the one we just installed if from an ebay online store witha return policay (dbelectric or something) but his old starter seems to have had the same problem. he couldnt even push start it.

any ideas woudl be great.
thanks.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

could it be your starter 1 way bearing?? i had this problem with my warrior. The starter would spin over but the the engine was not cranking. i took it to a shop and they said it was the starter 1 way. Anyhow it something to check i think its pretty common with warriors and it cost me about 240$ labor and parts together. take the plastic side cover off on the shifter side so you can see the bolt that spins with the crank this'll tell you if the engine is turning over. hope this helps

Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: XJ4ME
could it be your starter 1 way bearing?? i had this problem with my warrior. The starter would spin over but the the engine was not cranking. i took it to a shop and they said it was the starter 1 way. Anyhow it something to check i think its pretty common with warriors and it cost me about 240$ labor and parts together. take the plastic side cover off on the shifter side so you can see the bolt that spins with the crank this'll tell you if the engine is turning over. hope this helps
thanks, i will try that later and report back.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

If you have to buy a new starter or any replacement parts you can get it from here.
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Old 11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

It could actualy being that battery making the noise if it isnt not properly conected. I had the same problem and thaught i had to get a new starter but i antualy only needed to tighten the battery cables.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

my 89 warrior starter just stopped working, but before it stopped, from the day i got it in 96 it made a really bad noise, like somthing grinding or rattleing inside the motor, lots of my friends warriors made the same noise, even new ones, so i didnt worry about it. It might just be one of those things that it does.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

well the sound is not bad like a clank or rattle. it just sounds like the starter is spinning but not turning the motor.

i am looking around now for a shop manual or online exploded views of the engine.

thakns for the info, iw ill be trying anumber of oterh things and will let you know what i find.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either your one way bearing is bad or you have bolts broken off in the flywheel. We have seen several of these and the raptors with broken bolts.