Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

i always use it when i shift but i was told by pro racers, master motor builders, and other relieable ppl that u dont have to use the cluch when u shift......it does VERY lil harm to engine

i am starting to wonder is this tru

Old 07-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

I TOOK MY BUDDIES 300ex FOR A RIDE AND AFTER RIDING MY WOLVERINE FOR SO LONG (NO CLUTCH) I FORGOT TO USE THE CLUTCH SOME TIMES AND IT DID FINE? IT EVEN DOWN SHIFTED ON ITS OWN WHEN I HIT THE BRAKES HARD? I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT WLL HAPPEN ALL THE TIME OR ALL SHIFTS BUT IT DID THAT DAY IN THAT GEAR. AS FAR AS HARM BEING DONE I AM NOT SURE?

YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO SOME F THE AFTER MARKET SHIFTERS FOR STREET BIKES. THERE ARE SOME THAT CUT THE IGNITION FOR A FRACTION OF A SECOND TO ALLOW THE SHIFTS TO HAPPEN WITH OUT USING THE CLUTCH.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

it is called power shifting. If done right you wont do any harm. I would mainly do it for upshifting. I would use the clutch for down shifting, otherwise you can hurt something.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

semos got the idsea i will second that

Old 07-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

Over time it will damage the shift fork. If your not in a race and just crusing and playin around then use the clutch. Pro riders that have alot of backing can afford not to worry about the future of the quad cause they only use them for one or 2 seasons and some even only use them for one or 2 races. A friend of mine that races for BITD and is sponsered by Ace hardware, maxima oils, Kenda, VP fuel, Custom Axis, NV west cycle,AC racing, CT racing, ARS, and FX racing doesn't even own a quad and races every BITD race and then some.
No he doesn't use the clutch on the quads he races but when he races his KTM he uses the clutch because he owns it and plans on keeping it for a few years.

Old 07-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

There has been alot of discussion over this topic with very little agreeing. I personally feel that damage is done over long periods of powershifting. Many people just don't keep a quad long enough to see the damage they've done. I also think that powershifting and dropping the clutch are major causes of several (not all) 01 Raptor tranny failures.

Here are some links to other threads which have covered this subject in the past:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=393700
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=364940
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=406485

~HoundDog

Old 07-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

Just do it in a race but just upshifting not down. Over a time it will hurt the bike but if you have the a green dollar bill tree in your yard you can do it all the time. To be honest I don't think that it make's that much of a time difference at least that's my thoughts.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

i cant seem to find that dollar tree anywhere every where i go its sold out..

personally i think,... the clutch is there for a reason.. use it

Old 07-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

pinheadedjoker: your my god!

Old 07-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default NO CLUCH SHIFTIN

It's not power shifting. Power shifting means you are under "power" when you do it. That will TEAR stuff up, trust me. It's just clutchless shifting. If the tranny is built with good synchos, the gears are not that far apart and you are at the right momentum when you snap it over it'll go right into gear. In other words, you won't hurt a darn thing. If you hear grinding, you are causing wear. If you jolt the bike you are putting stress on the entire drive train and could break something.

Quick Reply: NO CLUCH SHIFTIN