Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Guys I need big help, please no bashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys I need big help, please no bashing

Alright guys i need to decide between the honda 450r and yfz.....I know this has been a topic that has been killed BUT if i can have it my way and from what i hear, the yfz is a little quicker but heres the problem. First off, I am 16 and working up money for a new 450 is like hell (but worth it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) ....I went to the local honda dealer and for a new 450r they want 6,100. Now like i said before i would perfer the yfz but at the yammy dealer they want 7,200 cash, walk out the door. What I want to know is how far behind in all around performance is this honda...Its like every mag i pick up, the Yfz is catching all the fame. I want to start racing mx on a track but as of now I ride wooded trails, open fields, long roads, etc (no dunes near me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ). Im selling my scambler (my baby) which my dad had helped me with when i was 12, for one of these quads and at the end of summer, the money income for me greatly decreases (back to school), Sooooooooooo, is it worth working a job after school to save up the last bit or should i be riding a honda at the end of summer... Thanks a lot for the help and sorry for bringing this topic up again, im sure many of you are tired of posting to it.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am 18 years old and in your same situation, and I just bought a new Preddy. . They are a very overlooked quad, yet you get (in my opinion) the best bang for the buck. You get great tires, durablue axles (very strong) and fox racing shox out the door, and it runs about 1500 less than the Yamaha and about 700 less than the honda. They aren't as slow as many magazines make them out to be. I've Seen a stock predator beat a stock YFZ in a drag (maybe 1000 ft. give or take). They are about 65 ponds heavier, but also are the more reliable (in my experience) than any of the new 450's. A major drawback for the predator is its lack of aftermarket mods, compared to the new 450's, but that is due the fact that it is a relatively new quad at only 2 years old. It's worth a look at, but thats just my 2cents.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Man I would try to screw the Honda dealer down..Here in Phoenix you can get a 450r for 5899.00 and if you push em you can get like a 100 dollar gift certificate to boot...Just work em like a rib man.Don't take their crap...keep looking and have em fight for your business, They tell ya 7200 when ya ask but check you local cycle trader(don't know if ya get that...450r. 5899 Try" traderonline.com" get a price and have them match it.(worth a shot)good luck.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot guys for the help, i appreciate you guys taking your time to help me out....im gonna go check a place out upstate that sells both the trx and the yammy. If i remember correctly, they have really good prices

Thanks again

Old 07-31-2004, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

If you save that 700, you can get a pipe, jets, and filter and make it faster than the yfz[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2004, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

VERY TRUE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Here in the midwest a 04 YFZ could be had for $5995..plus tax and registration.. about the same price as the Honda.

There are also allot of slightly used yfzs being sold for $5000 to $6000 depending on the mods.

I would ride both, if you can, and purchase the one you like the best.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

I have friends with both, IMHO thet are equil in power stock, the one with the YFZ is about 160 lbs and he cant get the suspention dialed in . My vote would go to a Honda with the HRC kit,Best $400.00 you'll ever spend

Old 07-31-2004, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Tough call:

Personally, I didn't like either in the woods, but then they are not made for that. On a smooth open MX track the TRX was sweet, and more comfortable than the YFZ. However I felt the YFZ was a bit more powerful where I needed it. Both machines are great for MX, it's just a matter of which is more comfortable or affordable for you.

Old 07-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i have been dieing to try one of these beasts out, but in Newyork (longisland) they seem to be alittle strict about letting you go out back and try it out. I know i will not be disappointed with either of them but when your spending this kind of money which is hard to save up for a kid, you want to make the right choice. Im heading over to the honda dealership today to see if they have the black trx in there. My pops wanted to see the 450crf dirtbike that he fell in love with the other week (haha) well thanks again

Quick Reply: Guys I need big help, please no bashing