Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly or Kodiac.....I'm stressed out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This comes down to what kind of riding you are going to do.
I own a Kodiak 00. And its a great machine. But for 200$ more you get a smoother ride and 200cc more.
The kodiak does handle amazing. If the grizzly width is a concern. I ride with sportman 500's mostly and i have never seen them have problems on trail handling. The trails i ride on are mostly 2 quad widths wide. On a trail liek that combined with long miles, i would take the grizzly any day. Riding the Kodiak all day gets me tired out a little bit. It does throw you around. So if you ride alot of Hardpack and long distances, i would get the grizzly.
On the other hand. Kodiak is much more sporty, and fun to play on. It is also slightly better in the Mud.
So really i think it comes down to what kind of riding your going to do. Neither is a bad choice. 600 miles on my Kodiak and running great.

Old 08-20-2000, 02:50 AM
Trailblazer

If your ridding is tight woods go Kodiak. If you ride in the open trails and gravel roads AND don't mind the extra weight when it decides to tip over on you...go Grizz.

Old 08-20-2000, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

Hey woody I agree with oldbear53. If it's wide open out where you are then the Grizz may be fine. But if the trails are tight and twisty and you like a quad that really handles go with the Kodiak. I just bought a y2k and can't get over how much fun it is to trail ride. I thought alot about the Grizz but the Kodiak seat is lower, the brakes are better, it's not hot to ride, and it really is a carver on the corners. I can't wait to change the tires and see what it's really made of. I was tormented too and everytime I ride I have no regrets.
Damguy
y2k tan
warn winch

Old 08-20-2000, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

if you plan on just trail riding with it or an ocassional mudhole go Y2K.
if you plan on building up your quad with lift or big tires go GRIZZ. 200cc's is a wrold of difference when turning 27/28 inch tires.
which ever type of riding you do will dictate which one you buy.
each one is built for a different purpose.

LATER

Old 08-21-2000, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I had to get the Grizzly. I walked in the showroom Friday to pick up my Kodiac and low and behold there was a shiny new Yamaha blue Grizzly with polished aluminum wheels and 27" Blackwater XT's. I had to have it. I put on 75 miles this weekend and love it. I was riding with my buddy on a Trailblazer and didn't have any trouble keeping up on the tight trails even though the Grizz is not great in the corners. Find an open road though and the Trailblazer is sucking dust! We went through an area of trail which consists of about 4 miles of black bog. I lead the way and never got hung up once! That was the first time I've ever been through that trail on any bike and didn't get stuck. Very impressed. One small glitch though. I was cruising along and went off a small drop off into a big mud/water hole and the grizz sputtered and stalled. I would assume that was because the bike cooled down too fast. Is this normal? Anyway, other than that the machine worked flawlessly and I'm very satisfied. Thanks to all who responded!

Old 08-22-2000, 02:25 AM
Range Rover

Glad to hear you are enjoying your purchase. I have really enjoyed mine also. As for the stall i would guess that you ither got some watter in the plug boot or that the sharp drop off sloshed some extra gas in and floded it. My grizz was kinda tempermental when i got it. Sometimes it would die at an idle or in a situation like you described. I turned the idle up during brake in and all was well. Now that it has some miles on it it never dies. If you have any way of doing it i would love to see a photo of that blue Grizz with the 27"xt's on it. Sounds like a real beauty

Old 08-22-2000, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Yama, the new bike is a real head turner. It's the only blue Grizzly around here...so far. I'll try to scan some pics and post them. I'm sure you'll be impressed, I am!

Old 08-22-2000, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

My brother has a Grizzley, my nephew has a Kodiak and I have a Quadmaster. Grizzley has a lot of power and can't take the Kodiak out of 4WD. The Quadmaster is an overall better bike. However, I'd rethink anyhting with a darn belt. I'm trading for a 2001 500 QuadRunner.

Old 08-22-2000, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

When my Griz was brand new it used to die several times after first starting it. After about 100 miles it quit, has been running flawlessly ever since. Lots of power is kind of an addicting thing ain't it?

Old 08-22-2000, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

"Grizzley has a lot of power and can't take the Kodiak out of 4WD."

PLEASE tell me what the hell this means?

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Quick Reply: Grizzly or Kodiac.....I'm stressed out!