Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

04 griz, no faster than 52mph after mudhole

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 griz, no faster than 52mph after mudhole

I hope someone has some good advice for me. I just bought an 04 griz and took it to beautiful Windrock. On our night ride, I sank it to the fenders (with my wife on the back). Well, the Griz died in the mudhole and I had to be towed out. I drained the muddy water and we rode the rest of the weekend. We had a great time, no problems except for every time I hit water, she sputtered (the Griz, not the wife). I noticed the speed issue when I got home and cleaned it off. After the wash, I took her for a spin down the road to dry it off, and that is when I found it would not run above 52.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]I pulled the belt casing off and everything is coated with dirty grease. Is that my problem?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Clean it and find out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2004, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

you will have to take you frt rack off and ther is a tube that leads to the crankcase.the same for the rear.sometimes if those tubes get filled w/mud the trans cant breathe even though you have drained it.that just means the water is leaving,not actually cleaning the tubes...you see them on the letf side.it happened to me when frt went in to a mud hole.the front tube was caked...you take them a part and fit like a long screwdriver or scopper once you get them off...

Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

The problem you are experiencing is not a venting problem. When you sank your machine in the mud the cool air intake located in the rear of the machine sucked in mud water. The reason your machine will only go 52 now is because your primary clutch has got mud in it. This mud will not allow the clutch to compress the rollers fully. If you pull the belt cover off, you can pull the primary clutch off and disassemble it for cleaning. Also, a very easy way to make sure that this is the cause of your problem is to listen to your machine, it will be completey redlined at 52. Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with grandmama. The clutch will have to be taken apart and cleaned. He naile d it right on the head. I wouls find it hard to believe that you have found enough mud to completely block the cooling ducts off.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info. I took the casing off and clean the mud, grease, etc off of outside of the clutch, but did not pull the clutch. How involved of a project is that and do you need special tools. Seems my luck when doing something like that, a spring pops and I can't ever get it back together. Oh and yes, it does redline at 52. Doesn't want to do any more. Will I need to regrease? If so, what type. Also, is this going to happen every time I hit the mud?????????????????????????????????????????????

Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

as far as greasing ask yamaha for the right gearing grease.I had the same problem mine was so caked that I only got to 48mph..The dealer told me that the black tubes leading to and from (frt and rear)was glogged.Take off the sidepanels and airbox and you can see both the front and rear tubes.use a small phillips and remove the small tubes and you will see the mud come out.that should work....clean as much out as you can.. the problem is the belt is not expanding properly and the clutch rollers aren't doing what the are suppose to....also look by the frt differential there is a small clear tube held with a clip clean that out also(no tool required)..you might want to clean your radiator and fan area too,to prevent any overheating on the radiator...mud tends to find hard to reach places...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

There are no special tools needed. A set of metric sockets, a couple of extensions, and a phillips screwdriver should do the trick. make sure you take the primary clutch apart, that's the one giving you the problem. The primary clutch is the one on the motor side. You want to pull the belt housing off, then take the belt off. There is one bolt on the center of the primary, take it off and you can pull the whole clutch off for cleaning. You are going to have to disassemble the clutch itself to get the mud out. This is where the phillips comes in. Take off all the phillips screws and pull the front cover off. This is where you will see all the mud and your rollers that don't roll anymore. The best way to clean the clutch out is with soapy water and an old tooth brush. Don't try to disassemble the rollers, they are meant to stay in one piece. If they look to beat up or out of round, replace them, otherwise just clean them. Hope this helps!

Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

sounds easy enough. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to check it out. Thanks a ton for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 08-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

You guys nailed it. I pulled the cover off, then the housing off of the clutch, then the little cover. I found anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" of mud caked in there. Rollers had no way to expand completely. I had to clean it, run it, disassemble it again, clean it again, run it again, now she is humming. Thanks a ton

Quick Reply: 04 griz, no faster than 52mph after mudhole