Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how long can you wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long can you wheelie?

ATTN PPL TRYING TO STUNT 2 STROKES!! Watch that powerband when u try it if u lean back to much your gonna hit the grab bar HARD!

Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will try to shift in low rpm's so I don't destroy my grab bar[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1992 Yamaha Banshee
DG front bumper
DG steel series nurf bars
Renthal handle bars
FMF gold series exhaust
One industries graphics kit
Blue and Silver powercoated frame--Gold powercoated swing arm
Boisen reed, boost bottle
armidilo swing arm skid plate

Old 08-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

man race the face u need some pics of your quad... that looks (just from disc) like a pretty sweet shee

Old 08-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

gotta love ur sig speedy!

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 08-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

like 30-40 yards

Old 08-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

nice g/f XXxxSiCk660xxXX

Old 08-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

how can a 400's 4th gear be 65mph???????? dont they top out at like 69-70

I can get 73-75 out of mine pined in fifth bouncing off the revlimiter. 65 in forth roughly, was getting ready to grab fifth when the rock jumped in my way.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

yah thx....

-bLuRRRR27-

Old 08-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

alright i was just thinking of a friends 400ex not a kfx or z400 with mods

Old 08-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

On my blaster, about 75 yards is my best; that may be sad considering this quad is in the top 10 list of wheelie kings. 400ex are the easiest and raptors are near the top of the list too, as well as banshees. And I only do wheelies in the grass or dirt. Asphalt HURTS when you fall off the back, and if you hit the grab bar, well, it isn't too good for that either. First, I recommend starting out in 2nd (I'd start in 3rd but the blaster doesn't have the bottom end for that). Lean back and pull up on the handlebars to get it up while droppin' the clutch and giving it enough throttle to get up. Try to pop it up perfectly to get to the balance point without having to rev it really high (like another guy said, revving it high from the beginning is bad and your wheelies won't last as long). There are really two kinds of wheelies: the slow creeping ones where the guy finds the balance point, and the fast ones where it is revved out and he's doing like 50mph. Anyway, obviously the longer lasting ones are the slower ones. Once you find the balance point keep your right foot over the rear brake and READY to tap the brake if you feel it going over backwards. DON'T be too scared to wheelie and don't be afraid of going over too far. As long as you are in the grass or dirt you should be fine even if it goes over. That grab bar is there for a reason, and yes it will stop the quad from tipping over on you. Just don't let it SLAM backwards on that bar or you will bend it and you will obviously fall off. Some fat *** rode my quad one time and SLAMMED it backwards when it hit the powerband. Well, the fat *** held on even when it was on the grab bar. The bar was F*%&^# and the handlebars were bent after it rolled over sideways onto his stupid ***. And all he could say was, "that clutch is touchy" and , "you can bend that back". :rollseyes My point is, if it just touches the bar (like if it goes backwards from balance point) it will only slide on it and won't hurt it at all, and if it is falling backwards really quickly and hits the ground before you can hit the brake fall backwards off of it. I say avoid the road. SO, start in 2nd or 3rd, find the balance point (may take a while) and don't be scared, keep the revs low, shift VERY carefully to keep it from going down (shifting is probably the hardest part of the wheelie, at least for me), you may feather the clutch if wanted, and throughout the whole wheelie, keep you foot on that rear brake and be ready to hit it if it starts going over too far. You can recover the wheelie from just sliding on the grab bar by tapping the brake but I always hit the brake hard and try again at that point. Good luck.

Quick Reply: how long can you wheelie?