Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

more low end power

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more low end power

Hi first time writer, long time reader , have '99 wolverine w/ k&n air filter, modified stock exhaust(lot more flow), 55main jet, torque stuffer, 25" dirt deveil tires. friends and i ride trails and make some. areas that are rocky, hilly,watery, looking for more low end torque to get through rough terrain w/o using winch have thought about advancing cam by 2 degrees (in my go fast truck, 3 deg. increased low end gut big time) has any one done this? what was the result? have enough valve clearance?

Old 08-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is not what you want to hear but the larger tires are a contributing factor to your need for more low end grunt. The wolverine is geared too high in stock form and taller tires make it worse. Not sure about the cam adjustment. You can always go into the engine to get the power you want. Let us know what works for you.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Why don't you just put on a smaller sprocket?

Old 08-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

he doesnt have sprokets

Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 04Raptor350Guy
Why don't you just put on a smaller sprocket?
Hehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You should either try modifying the engine (higher compression really helps low end) or putting smaller tires on there. Your gearing with 25" tires is gonna be quite a bit higher than you would like, just going down 2 or 3 inches would help alot. If you need a new top end on the bike soon you might as well try going up in compression and see if that helps, 10.5:1 or 11:1 would be the best bet because you'll still be able to run pump gas.

I wouldn't suggest changing the cam unless you know forsure it's not gonna harm anything, especially if your gonna go more than 1 tooth.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I would start out simple and get an aftermarket pipe and then open up the airbox all the way, but make sure to use an outerwear. You may be slightly over jetted right now with a 155, after you put on a good pipe and if you have one with discs, run more than 12, run 20, your main jet should still be so close that you dont wanna mess with it. After that, if you still want more power, I would bore it 0.040 over and run a 10.5:1 compression piston. That will give you more air through the exhaust port to work with that torque valve and race exhaust, creating a stronger vacuum at lower rpm's.....in essence, more low end. You will also have more top end as well, but your bottom end will be good.

If you want low end, keep the stock cam and I dont think I would try advancing it without knowing for sure that it will work.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

what would be a good pipe for the money but not too loud??? checked out a fmf pipe, could not understand 165.00 for a minature glass pack(70.00for 2 & installed at local muffler shop)plus a connecting pipe from muffler to head pipe

Old 08-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

If your wanting to get a pipe to improve low end I would recommend a disk system with 12 or less disks, the lower the amount of disks the more low end power you gain and the quieter it is. having more than 12 is is just way to loud and pointless on a Wolverine (you wont notice the power gain, if anything you'll notice a loss because of not enough back pressure). White Bros makes a good one called the E-Series, we run this on our Grizzly and one on our Warrior each with about 5 disks and they are great! Gotta watch the screws that hold the disks in and be careful putting them in and taking them out, they strip easily and break...no fun!

Old 08-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Range Rover

I just put a Supertrapp IDS2 pipe w/ 7 discs on mine and noticed a significant increase in low-mid range. It is the quiet series and is not too loud, plus it is only $189 shipped to your door from rockymountainatv.com.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Bubba - On a Dyno sheet the Warrior and Wolverine both make the most power (White Bros. E-Series) Running around 20 discs with the spark arrestor in, when properly jetted. Yes you are right about the low end with less discs theroy, but when you start to modify it, you have more air into the pipe in general, and on that particular model it it runs well with 20. Running more will free it up You are going to gain more peak hp and alot in the mid range, top end too if you want it. He already has the torque valve and everything else and he wants more power, and with that in mind if you run 4-5 discs, its giong to make a dog out of it on the high end. It will rev kinda flat. Everything will be on the bottom, and not much tp speak of. Kinda like riding a Honda utility. If thats what you want it to do, thats ok, but mine pulled the 25's better with closer to 20 discs and acclerated quite a bit harder and there power was there when I wanted it. You already get the low end restriction with the torque valve coming out of the header, to restrict it yet again on the end of the pipe would be wrong because it wont let the gases escape fast enough. The torque valve restricts the space at the beginning of the header which speeds up the exhuast process by creating a stronger venturi or suction. The idea is to let it continue to flow fast, dont slow it down at the end. This will back up the process and make it run flat.

Quick Reply: more low end power